Slow DL Speeds- Incorrect Settings?

gscottm

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hello,
I have a laptop (Vista) and a new desktop (Windows 7)connected to my router. The laptop, with the desktop being off, downloads at a consistent 6.7Mb/s. When I turn off the laptop and start the desktop, it downloads at a steady 1.3Mb/s.

There must be something set incorrectly on my desktop to make it d/l so slowly.

Any suggestions where to look & what I should do?

Solution
Try disabling your antivirus and then test your download. It is also possible that you have background programs that are eating up some of your bandwidth.

First: If you are not using Norton make sure to totally remove it. Disable your virus protection and test speed and if problem consist continue,
Second: Start in safemode with networking and test speed. If problem goes away then clean up desktop once out of safe mode. If not continue.
Third: Plug your laptop directely into the router and test speed. If speed is still 6.7Mb/s then you confirm your router/network cable is not the issue.
Fourth: Update bios/drivers.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Try disabling your antivirus and then test your download. It is also possible that you have background programs that are eating up some of your bandwidth.

First: If you are not using Norton make sure to totally remove it. Disable your virus protection and test speed and if problem consist continue,
Second: Start in safemode with networking and test speed. If problem goes away then clean up desktop once out of safe mode. If not continue.
Third: Plug your laptop directely into the router and test speed. If speed is still 6.7Mb/s then you confirm your router/network cable is not the issue.
Fourth: Update bios/drivers.

Solution