Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Advice on Motherboard and psu please !

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 22, 2011 7:12:32 PM

Hello all,

Approximate Purchase Date: Before the end of the year.
Budget Range: $2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video,music,photo editing Anvil Autocad

Parts Not Required: Mouse, speakers,keyboard, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: US of A

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 24" monitor, so I assume 1920x1080?

Additional Comments:

Im building a new rig for the first time, but still have questions on what kind of motherboard would suit my needs and which direction to go in terms of power supplies. The purpose of of this system is gaming, video/music/photo editing, and auto cad and Anvil.

Here is what I have so far:

Case:
Level 10 GT Snow Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU:
Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield 3.2 ghz lga 1366 130w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory:
Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive:
SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L/RSBP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card:
ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50702-10M GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : advice motherboard psu

September 22, 2011 7:18:11 PM

Any reaon you went with a 1366 cpu as opposed to an 1155 cpu?
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 7:21:26 PM

A friend of mine recommended it. Any reason why I should not ? Remember, Im a noob haha
I also plan on learning to overclock on this system with this friend.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 22, 2011 7:46:39 PM

senseij07 said:
A friend of mine recommended it. Any reason why I should not ? Remember, Im a noob haha
I also plan on learning to overclock on this system with this friend.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-990x-extrem... <----- $1,000 Intel Core i7-990X Extreme vs $330 Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge

*Sandy Bridge reviews down below

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1501/1/

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 8:08:01 PM

senseij07 said:
A friend of mine recommended it. Any reason why I should not ? Remember, Im a noob haha
I also plan on learning to overclock on this system with this friend.

I wouldn't recommend this cpu to anyone simply because it's based on a dead end technology. The technology of choice for new systems, especially if you're learning about overclocking, is a socket 1155 based cpu (unlocked cpu) on a Z68 chipset. That's the platform which is current, and for which there will be upgrades available in the future (should you ever choose to upgrade your cpu)

For the cpu, I would get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

for the MB, I would get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 8:37:35 PM

If you want a PSU that can support SLI then IMO 650/750 is the sweetspot for two GTX 560s.

Some options:
Corsair TX750V2 80Plus Bronze $105 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair HX650 80Plus Bronze/Silver Modular $120 ($20 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Pro 750W XXX Edition 80Plus Silver Modular $130 ($30 rebate, $6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec HCP-750 80Plus Gold Modular $140 ($25 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Hale90 750W 80Plus Gold Modular $140 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seasonic X-650 80Plus Gold Modular $140 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 9:00:21 PM

senseij07 said:
Hello all,

Approximate Purchase Date: Before the end of the year.
Budget Range: $2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video,music,photo editing Anvil Autocad

Parts Not Required: Mouse, speakers,keyboard, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: US of A

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 24" monitor, so I assume 1920x1080?

Additional Comments:

Im building a new rig for the first time, but still have questions on what kind of motherboard would suit my needs and which direction to go in terms of power supplies. The purpose of of this system is gaming, video/music/photo editing, and auto cad and Anvil.

Here is what I have so far:

Case:
Level 10 GT Snow Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU:
Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield 3.2 ghz lga 1366 130w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory:
Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive:
SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L/RSBP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card:
ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50702-10M GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Nobody has pointed it out so far so I will. You have $602 in just the case and cpu up there, and only a gtx560 (it's not even a gtx 560ti) to show for it. That's what's called a horribly unbalanced build on here....especially when you list the first priority of this build as gaming. I wouldn't take any advice from your friend or your going to get totally hosed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <---- please copy and paste this on here.
m
0
l
September 23, 2011 4:26:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I actually saw the 560ti and already decided to switch it out same thing for my cpu. As for the case, Not willing to compromise there haha. Looks like im switching out my cpu and gpu based on your rec. but how about psu ? Do you think 750w would suffice ? Or should I play it safe and go a bit higher ?
m
0
l
September 23, 2011 4:30:24 AM

I think you are fine with the 750 W PSU, no need to go higher.
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 10:48:34 AM

abekl said:
I think you are fine with the 750 W PSU, no need to go higher.


Thanks for the info !
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 10:58:23 AM

Why_Me said:
Nobody has pointed it out so far so I will. You have $602 in just the case and cpu up there, and only a gtx560 (it's not even a gtx 560ti) to show for it. That's what's called a horribly unbalanced build on here....especially when you list the first priority of this build as gaming. I wouldn't take any advice from your friend or your going to get totally hosed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <---- please copy and paste this on here.


Thank you for the info. I have gone ahead and switched to the gtx 560 ti after reading a little more about it and seeing some benchmarks. As for the case being a factor in making it an unbalanced build, I appreciate the opinion but will stick to my decision. And yea no longer asking said friend for advice after coming here and after he said i should get a HDD instead of a SSD for higher speeds :o 
m
0
l
!