Sign in with
Your question

Good Gaming Computer For BF3 and Skyrim?

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2011 8:19:47 PM

Cooler Master HAF 922
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 7200 RPM
Sapphire 6950 Dirt 3 Edition
LEPA 850w Modular
Patriot gamer 8GB (2 x 4GB)
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel i5 2500k

I got this build from here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
a c 104 B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2011 8:56:35 PM

Looks good to me but the PSU could be 750watts and still be able to run 2 x HD6950 in CF.
m
l
September 22, 2011 9:11:58 PM

Quote:
if he plans on ocing his cpu or gpu any he will eat that 750W up if he is running CF 6950's

850W to be safe imo

add a 2nd 6950 and you will be running BF3 at great settings

Thanks guys but the thing i dnt plan on running crossfire any time soon so will the single suffice and if so, could/should i decrease the wattage of the PSU?
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2011 9:46:49 PM

Quote:
Did you already buy this pc? If so, how long ago? If not, are you trying to build your own pc or buy prebuilt?

Is that a Lepa B series 850W?

and when you say could/should you decrease the wattage, you mean buy a new one with lower wattage?

Im trying to build this pc
yes LEPA B850

Yeah
m
l
September 22, 2011 10:09:27 PM

Quote:
go over this thread first for us to make it easier to help ^_^

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

Will be nice to know your resolution/budget/preferences/needs

Thanks! I was wondering why so many people had similar questions? :D 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Approximate Purchase Date: ~6 Weeks from now

Budget Range: ~$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Gaming, Maybe Video editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (Not now, maybe 3 years from now or so)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This gaming PC will be mainly for games such as Skyrim, BF3, Mw3, and other games
m
l
September 22, 2011 11:09:06 PM

Quote:
If you are going to be ordering 6 weeks from now you might as well wait till then to decide on what you need.

Prices will change so much by then :o  especially when ordering from newegg because of all of the combos and rebates you can get. So a $1k pc will actually cost you more around $900 and then that extra $100 saved from deal hunting gives you more room to max skyrim and BF3 out :D 

Do you already own a pc? Specs?

really! but i like to be ready when the time comes so i cant just choose at the last minutes ( I suck at choosing the right parts lol)

The computer im using right now is

Gateway DX4850
Intel i5 2300 @2.80 GHz
6GB Ram
Integrated Video card
300w PSU
m
l
September 22, 2011 11:30:51 PM

-ZincaTe- said:
really! but i like to be ready when the time comes so i cant just choose at the last minutes ( I suck at choosing the right parts lol)

The computer im using right now is

Gateway DX4850
Intel i5 2300 @2.80 GHz
6GB Ram
Integrated Video card
300w PSU

So why not upgrade the PSU and GPU?
m
l
September 22, 2011 11:36:31 PM

rolli59 said:
So why not upgrade the PSU and GPU?

because that computer will be for general use ( Movies, TV shows, etc )
+ its the family desktop computer sooo
the one im currently planning to build is for me only to game and such
m
l
September 22, 2011 11:36:43 PM

Quote:
if he plans on ocing his cpu or gpu any he will eat that 750W up if he is running CF 6950's

850W to be safe imo

add a 2nd 6950 and you will be running BF3 at great settings

I do not understand where you guys get your power numbers but here is total system power consumption with overclocked LGA1366 system and 2x HD6950 in CF 509watts running Furmark http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-...
850watts is enough for 2xGTX580 in SLI as seen here in Tom´s new $2000 build article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-cpu-sli-s...
m
l
September 22, 2011 11:43:02 PM

-ZincaTe- said:
because that computer will be for general use ( Movies, TV shows, etc )
+ its the family desktop computer sooo
the one im currently planning to build is for me only to game and such

Then your build is fine but if you are going with a single card get a 500-600watt quality PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2011 12:03:22 AM

-ZincaTe- said:
Pot has the right idea. Pricing might drop a lot in six weeks, especially as hardware vendors release new models for the holiday buying rush. Then again, they may not drop much at all.

My advice is to start researching parts now, get your wishlist together, then just watch your preferred sites and pounce on individual components if you see some daily specials or combo deals that suit you. Doing this obviously takes longer than getting it all at once, but if you're willing to wait through the whole two weeks, you might save a sizable chunk of change.

As for CrossFire, if you're considering it three years out, than no, you're not going to do it. In three years you have no idea if a 6950 will even be a viable option. Whole computing platforms can change in that amount of time. You may have a whole 'nother system by then. If you're not going to CF a 6950 within the next year, then I don't think you ever will ( not saying you won't ever CF/SLI, but you won't with that particular card. ) So if you're not even halfway considering it now, then an extra beefy PSU may or may not ever be utilized.

Overall, those proposed parts look solid. I have the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3, the big brother to the Extreme3, and I like it a lot so far. I'm also a fan of Sapphire cards. I don't have any experience with LEPA PSUs though. My one suggestion/warning is about specialty RAM. Granted I'm not a big OC'er so others here may disagree, but paying a huge premium for "gaming" or "extreme" RAM that can be OC'd for minimal performance gain doesn't appeal to me. That said, I will pay a little extra for some tighter stock CAS timings ( I paid $15 extra for CAS8 over CAS9, but I wasn't about to pay $50 extra for CAS7 low voltage stuff. )
m
l
September 23, 2011 12:13:11 AM

RedJaron said:
Pot has the right idea. Pricing might drop a lot in six weeks, especially as hardware vendors release new models for the holiday buying rush. Then again, they may not drop much at all.

My advice is to start researching parts now, get your wishlist together, then just watch your preferred sites and pounce on individual components if you see some daily specials or combo deals that suit you. Doing this obviously takes longer than getting it all at once, but if you're willing to wait through the whole two weeks, you might save a sizable chunk of change.

As for CrossFire, if you're considering it three years out, than no, you're not going to do it. In three years you have no idea if a 6950 will even be a viable option. Whole computing platforms can change in that amount of time. You may have a whole 'nother system by then. If you're not going to CF a 6950 within the next year, then I don't think you ever will ( not saying you won't ever CF/SLI, but you won't with that particular card. ) So if you're not even halfway considering it now, then an extra beefy PSU may or may not ever be utilized.

Overall, those proposed parts look solid. I have the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3, the big brother to the Extreme3, and I like it a lot so far. I'm also a fan of Sapphire cards. I don't have any experience with LEPA PSUs though. My one suggestion/warning is about specialty RAM. Granted I'm not a big OC'er so others here may disagree, but paying a huge premium for "gaming" or "extreme" RAM that can be OC'd for minimal performance gain doesn't appeal to me. That said, I will pay a little extra for some tighter stock CAS timings ( I paid $15 extra for CAS8 over CAS9, but I wasn't about to pay $50 extra for CAS7 low voltage stuff. )

Thanks for the advice :D 
About crossfire/sli you need two or monitors right? if so, I wont be doing CF or SLI then.
What is the price difference between the "Extreme4" and the "Extreme3" also which is better for what? :p 
m
l
September 23, 2011 12:30:19 AM

Quote:
No you don't need two monitors.

You can run 3 monitors off one card for 3-way monitor gaming.

Just to run two monitors, you don't need anything extra and it takes nothing from the performance since the 2nd monitor isn't being used to game along side the first one.

You would plug all the monitors into the first card if you did want to run more than one.

For me, I am running just a 23.6inch 1920x1080 monitor with my dual 6950 2GBs so I can take on BF3 :D 

Nice :D 
but I don't think ill do that i like having one one monitor to look at maybe its personal preference :sarcastic: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2011 12:39:33 AM

-ZincaTe- said:
What is the price difference between the "Extreme4" and the "Extreme3" also which is better for what? :p 
The "Gen3" tag means the board supports PCIe 3.0, which may or may not take off, it's hard to say at this point. As of right now, no GPU can even top out the PCIe 2.0 bandwidth, so getting 3.0 is only "future-proofing." On the ASRock front, you've got the Extreme3 Gen3, Extreme4, and Extreme4 Gen3. The E4 gives you a Display Port jack on the board, a USB 3.0 header cable, two additional USB 3.0 ports ( the E3G3 has only two USB 3.0, ) one extra PCIe 2.0 slot so you can do triple GPUs, and two additional SATA III controllers. The E4G3 has all that plus PCIe 3.0.

You might also want to look as the Gigabyte Z68X series. They drop the onboard video ports, which you don't need, and give you some eSATA/USB combo ports which are useful. The Z68X-UD3 is the basic version, the Z68XP models have extra video ports, and the UD4 versions have extra SATA III controllers and improved voltage control. None of them give PCIe 3.0 though.

If you can find one, a Z68X-UD4 is a great board for the price. You don't get PCIe 3.0 and the board can only take two GPUs, but that's more than enough for most people.
m
l
September 23, 2011 12:51:36 AM

RedJaron said:
The "Gen3" tag means the board supports PCIe 3.0, which may or may not take off, it's hard to say at this point. As of right now, no GPU can even top out the PCIe 2.0 bandwidth, so getting 3.0 is only "future-proofing." On the ASRock front, you've got the Extreme3 Gen3, Extreme4, and Extreme4 Gen3. The E4 gives you a Display Port jack on the board, a USB 3.0 header cable, two additional USB 3.0 ports ( the E3G3 has only two USB 3.0, ) one extra PCIe 2.0 slot so you can do triple GPUs, and two additional SATA III controllers. The E4G3 has all that plus PCIe 3.0.

You might also want to look as the Gigabyte Z68X series. They drop the onboard video ports, which you don't need, and give you some eSATA/USB combo ports which are useful. The Z68X-UD3 is the basic version, the Z68XP models have extra video ports, and the UD4 versions have extra SATA III controllers and improved voltage control. None of them give PCIe 3.0 though.

If you can find one, a Z68X-UD4 is a great board for the price. You don't get PCIe 3.0 and the board can only take two GPUs, but that's more than enough for most people.

If you can, can you provide links? :love: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2011 3:10:42 AM

-ZincaTe- said:
If you can, can you provide links? :love: 

Extreme3 Gen3 ( on Newegg )
Extreme4 ( on Newegg )
Extreme4 Gen3 ( on Newegg )
ASRock MBoard Comparison

Gigabyte offers a lot of variety in their models and signify it with letter codes, which I don't have memorized. Take the Z68X series. All the boards have the same basic features, the difference between models depends on the jacks on the I/O panel itself. The upside is you can likely find the board with the exact I/O panel you want. The downside is sifting through all the models to find it. Going through some of the boards, these are the baseline ones with 10+ phase voltage regulation, something I'd want for better power management if I were OC'ing:
Z68XP-UD3P ( on Newegg )
Z68X-UD3P ( on Newegg )
Z68X-UD4 ( on Newegg )
Gigabyte Comparison Table
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:54:12 AM

would this setup be good for gaming?

Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHz 8M 1155 (overclocked to 4.0)
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 1155 Z68
2 x Kingston VR 4G DDR1333
EVGA GeForce GTX560 1G PCI-E Video
Seagate 500GB XT SATA 7200 4G SSD
Seagate 2TB Green 5900RPM 64MSATA3

CoolerMaster 700W eXtreme
LG GH22NS70 22X SATA DVD WRITER OEM

CoolerMaster CM690 II Black

MS Win7 Pro 64Bit OEM

m
l
November 1, 2011 11:19:05 PM

would this setup be good for gaming?

Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHz 8M 1155 (overclocked to 4.0)
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 1155 Z68
2 x Kingston VR 4G DDR1333
EVGA GeForce GTX560 1G PCI-E Video
Seagate 500GB XT SATA 7200 4G SSD
Seagate 2TB Green 5900RPM 64MSATA3

CoolerMaster 700W eXtreme
LG GH22NS70 22X SATA DVD WRITER OEM

CoolerMaster CM690 II Black

MS Win7 Pro 64Bit OEM
m
l
!