Can't save theme.

I deleted all my themes, then made a custom one. Now when I
try to save it, it does nothing. Is this because you can't
save a modied theme, or because it has no base theme to use
as refrence? I'd like to keep this backed up, to make it
easier to apply to other computers, in case my system
crashes, or for any other reason I might loose it.
7 answers Last reply
More about save theme

    See if extracting the original Theme files (default ones came with XP) helps.

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Katmunge" <Katmunge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:02b201c46ee5$4e640380$3501280a@phx.gbl...
    I deleted all my themes, then made a custom one. Now when I
    try to save it, it does nothing. Is this because you can't
    save a modied theme, or because it has no base theme to use
    as refrence? I'd like to keep this backed up, to make it
    easier to apply to other computers, in case my system
    crashes, or for any other reason I might loose it.

    You mean set it back to the default theme and try to save that?

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > See if extracting the original Theme files (default ones came with XP) helps.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp
    >
    > "Katmunge" <Katmunge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:02b201c46ee5$4e640380$3501280a@phx.gbl...
    > I deleted all my themes, then made a custom one. Now when I
    > try to save it, it does nothing. Is this because you can't
    > save a modied theme, or because it has no base theme to use
    > as refrence? I'd like to keep this backed up, to make it
    > easier to apply to other computers, in case my system
    > crashes, or for any other reason I might loose it.

    No. Extract the default themes which came with XP. Might help.

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > See if extracting the original Theme files (default ones came with XP) helps.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp
    >
    > "Katmunge" <Katmunge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:02b201c46ee5$4e640380$3501280a@phx.gbl...
    > I deleted all my themes, then made a custom one. Now when I
    > try to save it, it does nothing. Is this because you can't
    > save a modied theme, or because it has no base theme to use
    > as refrence? I'd like to keep this backed up, to make it
    > easier to apply to other computers, in case my system
    > crashes, or for any other reason I might loose it.

    The only themes Windows can find is in "C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes", that's where the default "Luna" is. What do you mean by extract? There's no .zip files. Do you mean remove them from the directory?

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > No. Extract the default themes which came with XP. Might help.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    Oh Well. I assumed the Luna was also deleted earlier.

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > No. Extract the default themes which came with XP. Might help.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    I just deleted them in the display properties. I didn't go through folders and mess with anything. Thanks for your help, though.

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Oh Well. I assumed the Luna was also deleted earlier.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp
    >
    > "Katmunge" <Katmunge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE78AA9D-B4BD-4B15-BEB5-08EA191140B2@microsoft.com...
    > The only themes Windows can find is in "C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes", that's where the default "Luna" is. What do you mean by extract? There's no .zip files. Do you mean remove them from the directory?
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > No. Extract the default themes which came with XP. Might help.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >
    > > Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

  7. my solution:
    - get the file "Windows Classic.theme" (3,025 bytes)
    - and place it in the folder "C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes"