PCI slots in wierd place?

So, I have this bearlake motherboard that I got froma friend a while ago... Decent board spec wise but one huge problem... The slots are in the wrong place!!! On a motherboard, the PCI-E, PCI, AGP and whatever else is supposed to be towards the bottom back. Mine are at the top. It's bearlake so it's a gaming motherboard, so why would they do this??? I have been told to get a reverse atx case but that won't help, the slots would then be at the bottom when the brackets are at the top... I would tell you what the motherboard is but I think it is a prototype. The cpu and sharpie on it, and the intel bios detector doesn't even know what the hell it is...Why would they do this? Is there a gaming case that this mobo would fit into?

In the picture you can see I made my own bracket by cutting it out of an old pc in my garage but it is very sketchy and I don't want it there forever... http://www.flickr.com/photos/71163096@N04/8069602536/in/photostream
3 answers Last reply
More about slots wierd place
  1. "Bearlake" is just an code name for an old old Intel chipset. Hardly gaming, and not worth using probably. It would help if you gave the board manufacture/model.You need a reverse atx case where it mounts on the left panel not the right. Like the one you took a pic of it installed in?

Again. Really old board. Maybe it came in a custom case. Not telling us what it is because it might be a "secret" 5 year old prototype limits helpful sugesstions. Probably Not worth using. Especially for gaming.
  2. It's old....
  3. unksol said:
    "Bearlake" is just an code name for an old old Intel chipset. Hardly gaming, and not worth using probably. It would help if you gave the board manufacture/model.You need a reverse atx case where it mounts on the left panel not the right. Like the one you took a pic of it installed in?

Again. Really old board. Maybe it came in a custom case. Not telling us what it is because it might be a "secret" 5 year old prototype limits helpful sugesstions. Probably Not worth using. Especially for gaming.

first off, my case is not custom, nor is it reverse atx. it is a regular case, opens on the left, i took the back brackets off because the opening was in the correct place so my motherboard wouldnt fit because the slots are in the wrong place.

second: not THAT old, its a quad core q9550 (pretty old for a quad core) but not "old old" has 4 slots for ddr3 memory and 2 pci-e 2.0 slots. its not old enough for the slots to be in that place as standard. i have gaming cases from early 2000s that this wouldnt fit in...

a reverse atx would not work either. i would have the same problem on a different side. on reverse atx cases the opening for the slots is at the top butif i put my motherboard in they would need to be at the bottom.

sorry for not explaining well, i have not had much experience with cases all i know is this is not normal... only computers ive seen with mobos and cases like this are dell.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI