Best RAM for gaming?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Gaming
  • RAM
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
October 9, 2012 6:44:08 AM

I need your guys' opinion since I need to replace my memory. I got a BSOD about something with Physical Memory Dump and then it restarted. And I've also noticed recently I've been getting a red LED light-up next to my RAM slots upon boot. So, I'm planning on replacing my RAM. Well, regardless of the issue - I'd be replacing it anyways for my upgrade.

Anyways, I don't do much gaming, but I want to buy memory that'd suit gaming. I don't play high intensity games like WoW or such. But I do play stuff like Minecraft, RuneScape, League of Legends, etc. I don't have a graphics card yet, but fixing to buy one. But first, I need to get this memory issue sorted before it worsens.

Here's my specs:
- CPU: AMD Athlon II x220 Dual Core 64 Bit (Upgrading to Phenom soon).
- RAM: 8GB Crucial (Looking to upgrade ASAP).
- PSU: 450W Bostec (Upgrading to OCZ ZT Series 650W).
- GPU: Onboard (Upgrading to EVGA GTX 550 Ti Fermi).
- MOBO: ASUS M5A88-M

Here's my ideas:
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance (Ranked #1 on Squidoo for gaming RAM 2012):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws Series (Ranked #4 on Squidoo for gaming RAM 2012):

- Or the G. Skill Sniper Series

What're your thoughts? Personal experience? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

More about : ram gaming

October 9, 2012 7:10:57 AM

Really, either of them.

They will all work perfectly and there is no difference in performance.
RAM has very little effect on your FPS when you are running a GPU.

I use the 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws myself, had no problems at all.
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:22:08 AM

All the same. Basically its just cosmetic on choosing. I personally have Ripjaw X. No problems.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
October 9, 2012 7:30:53 AM

ram wont affect gaming performance much(at the most, 1 fps, which is negligable) except in the single occasion where the ram is to promote faster vram for an integrated graphic card like Llano and Trinity chips.
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:31:17 AM

So neither of you have had issues? What should I go with as far as MHz? 1333 or what?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
October 9, 2012 7:32:46 AM

after 1600, it peaks off and ram doesn't give any beneficial performance for the price. though, most cpus are innately 1333 and must be manually switched to 1600 mode.
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:35:32 AM

So I should just go with 1333? Would that suit my mobo?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
October 9, 2012 7:40:04 AM

cant say, i would think 1333 is fine enough, but i dont know the cpus ram speeds it can use up to. im sure 1333 is in it but not sure if 1600 is supported or not.
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:45:04 AM

I'll just go with 1333 just to be safe and since that's what I'm using now.
m
l
October 9, 2012 9:47:02 AM

No problem with the G.Skill Ripjaw X I have and the Speed is 1600. Motherboard read it at the correct speed without me having to do anything to the memory.
m
l
October 10, 2012 9:15:33 PM

Why waste money on ram if you're going to get the same performance as your old ram? Unless you need more ram for video editing. Otherwise, I would save up and upgrade your other parts for a bit more.
m
l
!