Sign in with
Your question

Scientology Ad

Last response: in Forum Feedback
Anonymous
June 7, 2009 12:36:57 PM

Hello,

Can't you get rid of that big Scientology church ad on the main page ?

I know you don't select which ad appears as it's a rotation but it looks like I get it 99% of the time :cry: 

Thanks

More about : scientology

June 22, 2009 10:54:02 AM

Haha LostHawk, I see it too!

It's apparently part of Tom Hardware's Google AdSense, and unfortunately Tom's can't control what Google decides to show on their website.

Even worse, the ads that usually appear on Google are those that enjoy the most attention/clicks apparently. So people are actually into the ad?! :-o
June 23, 2009 3:18:37 AM

*disables AdBlock*

wow, this is just too...
Those guys sure knows where to hit the spot.

Quote:
Even worse, the ads that usually appear on Google are those that enjoy the most attention/clicks apparently. So people are actually into the ad?! :-o

Science damn you! :lol: 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 23, 2009 1:29:24 PM

Hi,

I would imagine those ads are most likely running through google adsense. That being the case, we don't have much control to block them.

Justin
July 29, 2009 6:44:15 PM

*pops IE tab*

hmm are they gone now? I seems to get some gigabyte ad and some things about weight loss? LOL
August 1, 2009 7:51:55 PM

justinblue said:
Hi,

I would imagine those ads are most likely running through google adsense. That being the case, we don't have much control to block them.

Justin

To the contrary, Google Ad Sense does permit blocking by URL.
August 1, 2009 7:53:46 PM

theholylancer said:
*pops IE tab*

I seems to get some gigabyte ad and some things about weight loss? LOL

Wow - maybe the ads are more targeted than I thought.
August 1, 2009 10:50:58 PM

Toms has gone Hollowood!!!
August 4, 2009 1:01:29 PM

rockyjohn said:
Wow - maybe the ads are more targeted than I thought.

ooo i got burned, i set that one up myself lol

but seriously, if the ads were evga and less gigabyte, and the weight loss is more gym member ship in my area then i'd be panicking and seeing where the hell are those tracking cookies.
August 4, 2009 7:03:36 PM

theholylancer said:
and the weight loss is more gym member ship in my area then i'd be panicking and seeing where the hell are those tracking cookies.

You mean you don't get them?

I get local ads even after deleting all my google cookies - I delete them all about once a week. And before putting in any geo data, I am targeted. I just assumed I am somehow encoded into their data base - or maybe they read someone else's cookies?

I gave up worrying about it but now I am a litle curious.

August 4, 2009 7:53:14 PM

i use customize Google addon for firefox (google it, apparently you can't get it from the firefox addon database due to, errr idk what) and it allows for disabling of all traces to google, cookies, ads, and everything in between like SSL for gmail (back when it wasn't an option to default it)
September 25, 2009 5:56:52 PM

Quote:
Can't you get rid of that big Scientology church ad on the main page ?

I never realised that it was that Tom...
!