Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering in games since i've upgraded.

Last response: in CPUs
December 24, 2011 3:05:52 PM

Hi all

old specs:
1055t @3.5ghz
Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 (x16pcie & x4 pcie in crossfire)
x 2 xfx 5770 in crossfire mode
6GB corsair 1333mhz ram
WD 500gb sata 2 caviar black
corsair 650W tx

I've recently bought a new motherboard, cpu and ram because my 1055t wasn't satisfying me enough in gaming performance. previously, when I was using a 1055t, I had not had any stuttering at all in any games. the game play was smooth, although the framerate was affected by the processor. Because of this, I upgraded to an Intel system composing of:

Asus p8z68-v lx (latest bios) & proper settings on pci-e lane speeds
2500k with arctic cooling 7 pro (ai suite fan speed to turbo) @ 40c load
corsair xms3 4gb 1600mhz ram
x 2 xfx 5770 in crossfire mode @ x16 and x4 (same as before)
corsair 650w tx
wd 500gb sata 2 caviar black

the games i have tested are WoW and Skyrim. I have tried both 11.11 and 11.12 drivers with and without cap3 profiles, to with have had both the same results of some stuttering choppiness. it appears the stuttering happens when i walk and move about. for instance, if I were walking on WoW, the stuttering would be as follows:
Smooth,smooth,smooth,smooth,stutter,smooth,smooth,smooth,smooth etc. I notice that player movements stutter when the game stutters too. on skyrim, the game stutters the same. when i am walking i will stutter and the framerate is at 60fps but doesn't feel smooth.

I would like to please know any troubleshooting guides or advice you guys can give me.
I have de-fragmented the hard drive and ran hard drive error chkdsk and both have been run without hitch.

a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 3:40:33 PM

Fresh Windows install?
December 24, 2011 3:41:54 PM

yes it is a fresh install.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 6:41:16 PM

Well, 4gb RAM should be enough, but that is where I see a difference. Check your memory usage.
December 25, 2011 8:10:17 PM

Ram usage seems to be fine. I have a hunch the motherboard drivers are causing the problems. I'm going to uninstall the chipset drivers and download the latest and see if it clears up.
December 26, 2011 10:38:35 AM

All chipset drivers are up to date. All drivers are their latest release. I don't understand where this problem could be coming from.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 11:17:06 AM

how about vsync
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 12:24:30 PM

are the 5770s overclocked? i used to get this problem when vram clock was a bit too high
December 26, 2011 4:38:39 PM

Vsync is on and in time with the monitors refresh rate of 60hz
My 5770s are stock. I've never overclocked them at all. Never had the need in my opinion.
December 26, 2011 4:57:10 PM

I have a feeling the onboard sound could be the culprit. I'll check the games with realtek sound disabled to see if it stutters.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 7:59:17 PM

cant see how a sound card could affect frames, but ya never know
December 27, 2011 8:39:52 AM

OK. I've played the game with realtek disabled and it still stutters. I tried each stick of ram to no avail. I've now swapped the ram to a more slower 1333mhz ram of 6GB, to which it still stutters!

I'm really not entirely sure what is wrong here. Would the CPU act like this if it were faulty? Or could the motherboard be faulty?
I'm not so sure it is a driver problem now.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 9:15:54 AM

Just a out of the blue question that maybe related to the driver, have you tried disabling CF and/or run on a single card setup?

I ask that as it sounds like your having a "micro stuttering" issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

If this is the case, all we can say is to hope and pray that a driver from amd will fix the issue.
December 27, 2011 12:01:49 PM

warmon6 said:
Just a out of the blue question that maybe related to the driver, have you tried disabling CF and/or run on a single card setup?

I ask that as it sounds like your having a "micro stuttering" issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

If this is the case, all we can say is to hope and pray that a driver from amd will fix the issue.

I have run without crossfire and i have also removed one card and tried using a single 5770 and it still stutters.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 3:06:07 PM

captainpoo said:
I have run without crossfire and i have also removed one card and tried using a single 5770 and it still stutters.

Could your CPU be running at a lower frequency or some cores disabled?
December 27, 2011 7:11:38 PM

HostileDonut said:
Could your CPU be running at a lower frequency or some cores disabled?

the chip is running at auto vcore and i disabled eist to check if full turbo would make a difference, but testing the games and it still stutters like before : / it;s running at 1.30v at 3.7ghz. all the cores are enabled and are at the same clock speed.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 7:27:49 PM

I have heard high voltages can make a CPU run slower. (not by much, but a little) I am runnin gmy 2500k @ 4.4Ghz with 1.31v maximum on auto. Try tuning your voltage down and see if it makes a difference.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 9:20:44 PM

well, im about to recommend (if all else fails) that you try to find a friend with compatible hardware and try each others hardware.

Last thing i could say before finding someone else is update the bios to an older version. Sometimes, older is better (as long as your cpu is supported on the older bios.)

I really hate these needle in the haystack problems.

!