Any way to get cuda and physX

Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i have radeon hd6770
but i need physX, cuda (and opencl if possible) computhing for some lite work (not for gaming)
so is their any way to get it under 50$

but my board have only 1 pcie x16 slot which is occupied by 6770, and i do not want to throughout my 6770
my board have 4 usb 2.0, 2 pci, 1 pcie x1, 1sata 2, port/slot available

(full sys spec is available in my configuration, can post here if needed)

Solution
you can use a second card as a cuda core only on an ati enabled system. but you have to have a motherboard that fully supports both manufacturers and have some hacked drivers... a little know how and a willingness to possibly short out your pc if you get it wrong...

but it can be done...
on your system it cant... you need 2 pci-e x16/x8 slots and you only have 1... so your only option is to scrap your current card and get an nvidia 1. its not all bad though. your current card hasnt depreciated much since you got it so your likely to get at least 2/3 of your money back.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

There're people out there who successfully got such a setup working. Problem is, the OP doesn't have a spare PCI-E slot... Maybe sell the 6770 and get an nVidia card equivalent to it?

you can use a second card as a cuda core only on an ati enabled system. but you have to have a motherboard that fully supports both manufacturers and have some hacked drivers... a little know how and a willingness to possibly short out your pc if you get it wrong...

but it can be done...
on your system it cant... you need 2 pci-e x16/x8 slots and you only have 1... so your only option is to scrap your current card and get an nvidia 1. its not all bad though. your current card hasnt depreciated much since you got it so your likely to get at least 2/3 of your money back.

Solution

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
though i am not a hardcore gamer
but for game i have 6770
but a little confusion, how can i use ati and nvidia card of different interface (acc to hexit hacking is a way to do that, but also stated that it is for 2*pcie x16 slot)
can i use this technic in this case?

Also opencl is supported by ion series but i am not sure about gtx series, does gtx series support opencl too?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

well i will be combining the power of 6770 with phyx and cuda of 520 using some hacking, but in jan or feb because i need to do a lot of research on this topic

pointless. the 520 will cause your 6770 to bottleneck you need a coda core thats as fast in both gpu and gddr5 memory as your 6770 the amount of cuda cores isnt that important as your only calculating physics with it. but its better to have a card with at least 128.
for my 5870 i would need a minimum of a gtx 260 to run physx on my machine without it bottlenecking. your likley to need a minimum of a 98gt or a gts250

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

And how are you going to do that, if your motherboard can only have one graphics card installed? :lol:

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Wow. Nevermind, I didn't know there're any GPUs that are made for PCI-E x1. Is this the card you meant?

Not sure if x1 mode is enough for CUDA/PhysX, though...

EDIT: Are you sure that your 500W PSU can handle two graphics cards?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

i got only three option with cuda core on newegg
so what about 430 it have 96 cores but it is for pci which is far more slower port

also the thing is i am not sure if this setup can do a post or not, maybe some of you can help me to do that

another question is ringing bells in my head, that is
will it help my cpu to share phyx computing load after selecting gtx as a phyx engine, and thus cutting down the use of my old cpu

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

yup thats the card that i mean

my current setup use only around 300w so i think their is some headroom for second low profile card

i too not sure about that x1 or pci in combination with x16, and thats why i am asking here

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Certainly it will! You just need this whole hacked drivers story going... not sure how to do that, just know that it's possible! Better to do research before you buy, though.

Hopefully there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.