Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a motherboard!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 9, 2012 3:10:48 PM

I'm building a desktop in the next few days and I need help choosing a motherboard. It determines whether I can get more parts or not.

MSI 970A-G46 AM3/AM3+ Motherboard OR Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3/AM3+ Motherboard

I can get the MSI motherboard and still have money for a Cooler Master V6GT CPU cooler and an MSI Interceptor Series Nighthawk ATX Tower, but with less RAM (4GB), or I can get just the motherboard and keep the 8GB of RAM.

Is the Gigabyte motherboard really worth the extra $50, or will the MSI motherboard last just as long?

More about : choosing motherboard

a c 435 V Motherboard
October 9, 2012 11:44:10 PM

Brands don't seem to effect longevity anymore. But a bad batch of boards ocassionally gets out. I use newegg reviews to see how many boards have to be returned and decide if I want one. Most reviews tend to be negative anyway, but some boards simply turn out better. I have used msi's rma process before and actually gotten the rma tech on the phone to check on the return status. With gigabyte, I got the old "we'll contact you later" response. In a nutshell, I can't recommend either board for longevity. Use a quality power supply and your odds improve dramatically. I use ocz and antec; both are pretty good.
m
l
!