Canyon Wireless Router help

computernovice_24

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Canyon CN-FW514 wireless router through a Thomson modem.
When I first started trying, I could get up the set-up screen on http://192.168.2.1 however this is as far as I got; the laptop said it had a very strong signal with the wireless connection, but I could not get any web pages to open (windows explorer couldn’t detect any problems either). The Thomson modem works when I conect it to the laptop via the ethernet cable, but that’s not much use to me trying to use the internet elsewhere in the house!
I tried changing the IP address, subnet mask and gateway IP address on the set-up screen (http://192.168.2.1) which seems to have been a big mistake; I now can’t even get the set-up screen to appear.
I’ve reset the internet options and have set everything to obtain the IP address automatically but am still having no luck.
Does anyone know how I can get access to the set-up screen again (I assume I need to change the IP/subnet/gateway settings back to what they were (I wrote them down just in case!) but don’t know how to do this)?
Many thanks

Solution
make sure the modem is not connected.

connect you computer via network cable to the router.

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1.

the gateway is the IP for your router that should allow you to get to the setup screen
make sure the modem is not connected.

connect you computer via network cable to the router.

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1.

the gateway is the IP for your router that should allow you to get to the setup screen

Solution