Customize "Files stored on this computer"

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Computers
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
July 21, 2004 8:54:59 AM

Hi!

How can I custmoize the "Files stored on this computer"
group on the "My Computer" view on XP Home?
I would like to remove the "Shared Files" and a my
downloads folder...
TweakUI seems not to provide such functionality...

TIA

Christoph Pach

More about : customize files stored computer

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 9:53:43 PM

Hi Christoph,

I'm not sure if you can remove the Shared Folders listing *alone* from that section (without affecting the functionality of the Shared folder). But, here are your options.

1. Redirect the Shared Documents Folder to your "My Downloads" folder so that the pointer is changed
-or-
2. Create a dummy user account named "downloads" or whatevername you wish. Then modify the DocFolderPaths to reflect the "My Documents" folder. Then, hide the user account from Welcome Screen (optional)

Here is the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
Set "<Newlycreatedusername>" value to your "My Downloads" with full path.

Note: Method 1 is the easiest, but not preferable if there are more users who depend upon the Shared Documents folder and it's contents.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:126901c46f19$8ca1dc60$a401280a@phx.gbl...
Hi!

How can I custmoize the "Files stored on this computer"
group on the "My Computer" view on XP Home?
I would like to remove the "Shared Files" and a my
downloads folder...
TweakUI seems not to provide such functionality...

TIA

Christoph Pach
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 9:53:44 PM

Hi Ramesh,

none of these options is satisfying... Eiter th downloads-folder is titled
as "Shared Documents" or "Files of Dowloads"... :-(
I would like windows to call that folder "Downloads"...

P.S. What means MVP?

Greetings

Christoph

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:53:43 +0530, Ramesh [MVP]
<ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> I'm not sure if you can remove the Shared Folders listing *alone* from
> that section (without affecting the functionality of the Shared folder).
> But, here are your options.
>
> 1. Redirect the Shared Documents Folder to your "My Downloads" folder so
> that the pointer is changed
> -or-
> 2. Create a dummy user account named "downloads" or whatevername you
> wish. Then modify the DocFolderPaths to reflect the "My Documents"
> folder. Then, hide the user account from Welcome Screen (optional)
>
> Here is the registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
> Set "<Newlycreatedusername>" value to your "My Downloads" with full path.
>
> Note: Method 1 is the easiest, but not preferable if there are more
> users who depend upon the Shared Documents folder and it's contents.

July 21, 2004 11:01:25 PM

Christoph,

Yup. None of the options meet the actual need exactly. But it's the only way I can think of. Following the 2nd method you can end-up with "Downloads' Documents" which is an awkward title :-) Will see if there is a way to rename the titles.

--

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:o psbhotwor6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
Hi Ramesh,

none of these options is satisfying... Eiter th downloads-folder is titled
as "Shared Documents" or "Files of Dowloads"... :-(
I would like windows to call that folder "Downloads"...

P.S. What means MVP?

Greetings

Christoph

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:53:43 +0530, Ramesh [MVP]
<ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> I'm not sure if you can remove the Shared Folders listing *alone* from
> that section (without affecting the functionality of the Shared folder).
> But, here are your options.
>
> 1. Redirect the Shared Documents Folder to your "My Downloads" folder so
> that the pointer is changed
> -or-
> 2. Create a dummy user account named "downloads" or whatevername you
> wish. Then modify the DocFolderPaths to reflect the "My Documents"
> folder. Then, hide the user account from Welcome Screen (optional)
>
> Here is the registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
> Set "<Newlycreatedusername>" value to your "My Downloads" with full path.
>
> Note: Method 1 is the easiest, but not preferable if there are more
> users who depend upon the Shared Documents folder and it's contents.

July 21, 2004 11:01:26 PM

Well, that would be very kind of you...
I guess, changing the folder's icon is impossible to do? *g*

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:01:25 +0530, Ramesh [MVP]
<ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:

> Christoph,
>
> Yup. None of the options meet the actual need exactly. But it's the only
> way I can think of. Following the 2nd method you can end-up with
> "Downloads' Documents" which is an awkward title :-) Will see if there
> is a way to rename the titles.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:39:12 AM

Would like to help out ramesh here :o )

>>P.S. What means MVP?

Learn more about them
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o psbhotwor6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> none of these options is satisfying... Eiter th downloads-folder is titled as "Shared Documents"
> or "Files of Dowloads"... :-(
> I would like windows to call that folder "Downloads"...
>
> P.S. What means MVP?
>
> Greetings
>
> Christoph
>
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:53:43 +0530, Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you can remove the Shared Folders listing *alone* from that section (without
>> affecting the functionality of the Shared folder). But, here are your options.
>>
>> 1. Redirect the Shared Documents Folder to your "My Downloads" folder so that the pointer is
>> changed
>> -or-
>> 2. Create a dummy user account named "downloads" or whatevername you wish. Then modify the
>> DocFolderPaths to reflect the "My Documents" folder. Then, hide the user account from Welcome
>> Screen (optional)
>>
>> Here is the registry key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
>> Set "<Newlycreatedusername>" value to your "My Downloads" with full path.
>>
>> Note: Method 1 is the easiest, but not preferable if there are more users who depend upon the
>> Shared Documents folder and it's contents.

July 22, 2004 2:52:57 AM

It does not honor the Desktop.ini's folder icon setting and there seems to be no way, afaik. David or others might tell if it is feasible. So, as of now you are left with the best option - method 2. :-)

--

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:o psbhpr9ke6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
Well, that would be very kind of you...
I guess, changing the folder's icon is impossible to do? *g*

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:01:25 +0530, Ramesh [MVP]
<ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:

> Christoph,
>
> Yup. None of the options meet the actual need exactly. But it's the only
> way I can think of. Following the 2nd method you can end-up with
> "Downloads' Documents" which is an awkward title :-) Will see if there
> is a way to rename the titles.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:54:04 AM

Thanks Anando.

--

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23XIbeX0bEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Would like to help out ramesh here :o )

>>P.S. What means MVP?

Learn more about them
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o psbhotwor6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> none of these options is satisfying... Eiter th downloads-folder is titled as "Shared Documents"
> or "Files of Dowloads"... :-(
> I would like windows to call that folder "Downloads"...
>
> P.S. What means MVP?
>
> Greetings
>
> Christoph
>
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:53:43 +0530, Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you can remove the Shared Folders listing *alone* from that section (without
>> affecting the functionality of the Shared folder). But, here are your options.
>>
>> 1. Redirect the Shared Documents Folder to your "My Downloads" folder so that the pointer is
>> changed
>> -or-
>> 2. Create a dummy user account named "downloads" or whatevername you wish. Then modify the
>> DocFolderPaths to reflect the "My Documents" folder. Then, hide the user account from Welcome
>> Screen (optional)
>>
>> Here is the registry key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
>> Set "<Newlycreatedusername>" value to your "My Downloads" with full path.
>>
>> Note: Method 1 is the easiest, but not preferable if there are more users who depend upon the
>> Shared Documents folder and it's contents.

July 22, 2004 3:54:08 AM

My pleasure, is'nt it ? :o )

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

news:o $THRc0bEHA.1732@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Thanks Anando.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23XIbeX0bEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Would like to help out ramesh here :o )

>>P.S. What means MVP?

Learn more about them
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o psbhotwor6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> none of these options is satisfying... Eiter th downloads-folder is titled as "Shared Documents"
> or "Files of Dowloads"... :-(
> I would like windows to call that folder "Downloads"...
>
> P.S. What means MVP?
>
> Greetings
>
> Christoph
>
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:53:43 +0530, Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you can remove the Shared Folders listing *alone* from that section (without
>> affecting the functionality of the Shared folder). But, here are your options.
>>
>> 1. Redirect the Shared Documents Folder to your "My Downloads" folder so that the pointer is
>> changed
>> -or-
>> 2. Create a dummy user account named "downloads" or whatevername you wish. Then modify the
>> DocFolderPaths to reflect the "My Documents" folder. Then, hide the user account from Welcome
>> Screen (optional)
>>
>> Here is the registry key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
>> Set "<Newlycreatedusername>" value to your "My Downloads" with full path.
>>
>> Note: Method 1 is the easiest, but not preferable if there are more users who depend upon the
>> Shared Documents folder and it's contents.

July 22, 2004 12:23:43 PM

I think to remember that there is a method to customize a folders view
using something like a HTML template... Hm, must look into that...
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:08:12 PM

It won't help you.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:o psbiz1tvi6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
> I think to remember that there is a method to customize a folders view
> using something like a HTML template... Hm, must look into that...
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:08:13 PM

I assumed so... :-(
So I resign on that... What a pitty, it could have been such a nice
feature customizing that view... :-(

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:08:12 +1000, David Candy <david@mvps.org> wrote:

> It won't help you.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:49:03 PM

You can customise it. But you would need to write a new my computer from scratch. A Folder.htt customises outside of the file list. But there is no way to apply one to My Comp in XP (unlike previous versions).

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros/

and you'll see the actual file list stays the same.

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:o psbi52ywk6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
> I assumed so... :-(
> So I resign on that... What a pitty, it could have been such a nice
> feature customizing that view... :-(
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:08:12 +1000, David Candy <david@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> > It won't help you.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:49:04 PM

So can I or can't I customize "My Computer"?
Wrinting a new "My Computer" isn't impossible to do I think (assumed there
is a docu regarding this)...
But as we actually talk about Win XP Home, is it work doning that if there
seems no way to apply it to my computer???

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:49:03 +1000, David Candy <david@mvps.org> wrote:

> You can customise it. But you would need to write a new my computer from
> scratch. A Folder.htt customises outside of the file list. But there is
> no way to apply one to My Comp in XP (unlike previous versions).
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros/
>
> and you'll see the actual file list stays the same.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 11:51:18 PM

You can replace My Computer. This is not trivial and you'll need strong COM programming skills. It may take several months to do. Look up Namespace Extensions at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library. It's difficult to see the effort being worth it.

You can't customise My Comp in XP. You can customise file folders. Whatever you can't customise the thing you want.

"Gany_md" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:o psbi82bhf6e39mz@pach.hybrimin.local...
> So can I or can't I customize "My Computer"?
> Wrinting a new "My Computer" isn't impossible to do I think (assumed there
> is a docu regarding this)...
> But as we actually talk about Win XP Home, is it work doning that if there
> seems no way to apply it to my computer???
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:49:03 +1000, David Candy <david@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> > You can customise it. But you would need to write a new my computer from
> > scratch. A Folder.htt customises outside of the file list. But there is
> > no way to apply one to My Comp in XP (unlike previous versions).
> >
> > http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros/
> >
> > and you'll see the actual file list stays the same.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 11:51:19 PM

As I am an IT professional I've got high skills in programming. Anyhow the
COM-thing is a mystery to me :-)
Although that litte bit of customazition is not worth such an effort...
Particularly if it doesn't work for my XP at all...

Thanks a lot for your help and patiance.

Gany_md

!