Epson 4000 or 7600?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 5, 2005 4:10:18 AM

I did a little research, and saw a few samples, and rightly or wrongly came
to the conclusion that if I want a photo quality large format printer, ***
for me *** the choice is still Epson, despite its "drink problem" :-)!.
Now, Bill (can you hear me?) if you were to start again, would you buy a
4000 or a 7600?
Nobody

More about : epson 4000 7600

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:10:19 AM

> would you buy a 4000 or a 7600?

I lusted after a 7600 two years ago but ended up not buying one, for
two reasons. First, I didn't have space for it without moving a lot of
stuff and maybe getting rid of a desk (check the dimensions and measure
carefully). The 4000 is pretty big too but it fits nicely in my office
and the 7600 wouldn't. Second, I like to print on both Premium Luster
paper for portraits etc and on fine art papers like Velvet Fine Art or
Arches Infinity or Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for nature images and ideally
you use different black inks for these, Photo black for the glossier
papers and Matte black for the fine art or matte papers.

The 4000 has both black carts installed at once and simply switches
between them on the fly based on which paper type you're using. With
the 7600 you have to switch between them manually and purge the ink
lines (all of them), which costs around $100 worth of ink every time
you swap black inks. That was the deal killer for me. I decided to
get the 4000 and when I need to print 20x24" or larger I just send the
file out for a LightJet print. I haven't regretted that decision.

If you need a lot of prints larger than 16" wide and if you have plenty
of space and if you are willing to limit your paper choices to either
glossy or fine art/matte you'd probably be better off with the 7600.
You can use the Photo black ink on both types of paper but don't get
the same D-max in the blacks on the fine art papers. You can't use the
Matte black on the glossy papers.

Hope this helps.

Bill
April 5, 2005 1:14:34 PM

Thank you Bill, this is most helpful. I went to one big printer company,
who sells large format printers, and had a canon 6200, HP130n3, and Epson
7600 for demonstration and sale. Their "experts" did not say one single
word on the issues you mention below. But they seemed very prejudiced
against Epson, and denigrated the machine as much as they could, in favour
of the Canon 6200 and HP130nr (but I think that they were HP agents). The
demonstration was inconclusive: the gentlemen did not have enough time for
me to test all my image files (about 3 or 4) and the printers were not
properly profiled, the wrong paper had been used, the HP seemed to have one
nozzle blocked, etc. Still, from these imperfect tests, I got the
impression that from an image quality point of view, the Epson was still
ahead of the other two, although the Canon was phenomenally fast, and HP had
very good features, like easily replaceable heads, or self-profiling. But
this is not really what is all about, to me photo image quality is what
counts. Another company did better. The girl I talked to over the
telephone said that 95 per cent of the photographers who buy large format
printers from them, still purchase Epsons, despite their slowness and "drink
problem" :-). At the moment I am using a Canon i9950, which is, of course,
an A3+ printer. The quality is fantastic, but it is a dye printer, and, what
I would regard as a minus, no matter how much I profile the paper (with a
Gretag Macbeth eye one), it still does better only with original Canon
papers. I hope that the Epson is less "fussy" and would allow me to use
other papers than their own, without loss of quality. Thanks again.
Nobody

On 5/4/05 5:17 am, in article
1112674653.819733.80480@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Bill Hilton"
<bhilton665@aol.com> wrote:

>> would you buy a 4000 or a 7600?
>
> I lusted after a 7600 two years ago but ended up not buying one, for
> two reasons. First, I didn't have space for it without moving a lot of
> stuff and maybe getting rid of a desk (check the dimensions and measure
> carefully). The 4000 is pretty big too but it fits nicely in my office
> and the 7600 wouldn't. Second, I like to print on both Premium Luster
> paper for portraits etc and on fine art papers like Velvet Fine Art or
> Arches Infinity or Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for nature images and ideally
> you use different black inks for these, Photo black for the glossier
> papers and Matte black for the fine art or matte papers.
>
> The 4000 has both black carts installed at once and simply switches
> between them on the fly based on which paper type you're using. With
> the 7600 you have to switch between them manually and purge the ink
> lines (all of them), which costs around $100 worth of ink every time
> you swap black inks. That was the deal killer for me. I decided to
> get the 4000 and when I need to print 20x24" or larger I just send the
> file out for a LightJet print. I haven't regretted that decision.
>
> If you need a lot of prints larger than 16" wide and if you have plenty
> of space and if you are willing to limit your paper choices to either
> glossy or fine art/matte you'd probably be better off with the 7600.
> You can use the Photo black ink on both types of paper but don't get
> the same D-max in the blacks on the fine art papers. You can't use the
> Matte black on the glossy papers.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Bill

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:38:56 PM

Bill Hilton <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote:
>> would you buy a 4000 or a 7600?

> I lusted after a 7600 two years ago but ended up not buying one, for
> two reasons. First, I didn't have space for it without moving a lot of
> stuff and maybe getting rid of a desk (check the dimensions and measure
> carefully). The 4000 is pretty big too but it fits nicely in my office
> and the 7600 wouldn't. Second, I like to print on both Premium Luster
> paper for portraits etc and on fine art papers like Velvet Fine Art or
> Arches Infinity or Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for nature images and ideally
> you use different black inks for these, Photo black for the glossier
> papers and Matte black for the fine art or matte papers.

> The 4000 has both black carts installed at once and simply switches
> between them on the fly based on which paper type you're using. With
> the 7600 you have to switch between them manually and purge the ink
> lines (all of them), which costs around $100 worth of ink every time
> you swap black inks.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi013/Epso...
provides instructions about how to "change from matte black to photo
black without wasting money and ink". Also, Lyson black is now
available for the 7600 -- it's a single black for both matt and glossy
papers.

Andrew.
!