PC just not running how I think it should.

signals

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
So thanks to the wonderful people here, I recently did a first-time build of a $1250 gaming PC. However, I seem to run into a lot of problems/performance issues. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

Firstly, the graphics card (an EVGA GeForce 570). I keep getting small, but noticeable artifacts on my desktop. Sometimes tooltips hang on the screen or applications create white boxes after moving. The games seem to run fine, but they just don't seem to look as good as they should (but maybe I just have really high expectations). I do have the latest drivers, but about 3/4 through the driver installation, I get some sort of error pop-up (I can't remember what it was exactly), however the installation still continues. A lot of the images and text don't look anywhere near as crisp and smooth as they should--especially the text which when viewed on a non-white background, have these faint, white underlines underneath each letter of text (again, it's not horribly noticeable, and it's not always there, but it's there enough to bother me).

Secondly, my SSD (a Crucial 64GB) is not speeding up the boot-times and everyday processes like I've seen it do on a million other machines. It pretty much hangs on the initial Extreme3 Gen3 boot screen for about 15-20 seconds before going to a black screen for another good 7-10 seconds and then finally going to the log-in screen

If it matters, I have an i5 2500k CPU and 8GB RAM. I really don't know what advice you guys can give me without actually being here, but if you know anything, any help would be appreciated. I just can't help but feel I am far from having the computer I paid for. Maybe it's something I didn't do once I installed Windows, maybe I installed a part incorrectly, maybe I have a defective unit, but if it's none of that possibly, I would love to know what I can/should do to improve the performance of this computer.

signals

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
The PSU is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W.
I have not overclocked anything in the computer.
The OS (Windows 7) is installed on the SSD.
The monitor I'm using is actually an HDTV, it's a Dynex 40" running at 1920x1080 and 60Hz refresh rate.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Well nothing at all sticks out as to what could be causing the problem.

Do you have another monitor you can try?

Double check all your drivers are up-to-date, enabling Lucid Virtu (if your motherboard supports it) might also be a good idea and doing some GPU stress testing might be a worthwhile procedure. Run something like MSI Kombustor or Unigine Heaven for 15-30mins and see if any artefacts crop up.

As for your SSD - there's a big guide somewhere for how to increase performance, ill take a look for it now and edit it into this post when i find it.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

signals

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
So I ran one of the stress tests you recommended--I didn't notice any artifacts or anything that seemed to be out-of-the-norm. I really don't know a lot about video cards, so if you (or someone) could tell me what to make of these results, then that would be wonderful.

--------------------------------------------------------------

MSI Kombustor:

Score: 2456 points, 40 FPS
Graphics score: 1833 points (32 FPS)
PhysX score: 5358 points (123 FPS, 303 SPS, CPU PhysX)
Combined score: 4813 points (15 FPS, 285 SPS)

Duration: 130000 ms
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Anti-aliasing: X8
Window mode: fullscreen

Primary renderer: GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.1.0
Graphics drivers: 8.17.12.8026 (8-3-2011) - nvoglv64

Number of GPUs: 1

GPU0: GeForce GTX 570
Device ID: 4318 - 4225
Memory size: 1280
Core clock: 732 MHz
Memory clock: 1900 MHz
Shader clock: 1464 MHz
Max GPU usage: 99%
Max GPU temperature during the test: 64°C

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU speed: 3292 MHz
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 [Service Pack 1]

--------------------------------------------------------------

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
As long as you didn't see any artefacts or screen tearing anything out of the ordinary, then your graphics card isn't at fault.

Id recommend un-install your graphics drivers and update to the latest Nvidia ones. Then use Nvidia control panel (right click on your desktop > Nvidia Control Panel) to set up your screen resolution and refresh rates ect ect. Also change from the deafult "balanced" setting to "performance" in order to get the best visual display. http://www.geekneighbor.com/alien/jpgs/imagesetting.jpg