Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replacing power supply in Sony Vaio VGC-RA920G

Last response: in Components
December 24, 2011 9:29:40 PM

The power supply in my Sony Vaio VGC-RA920G has fried. The OEM power supply is Delta Electronics DPS-400LB Rev 04. The Sony part number is 1-468-851-14.

I bought a standard aftermarket PSU and it won't work. For one it's too wide in every direction, it just won't fit where the original power supply was located. Also, there is no way to connect the power supply to the case -- there is nowhere to attach the mounting screws on the new power supply. The OEM power supply has bolts, for lack of a better word, on the side that lock in with a lever on the case. I've never seen anything like this.

Has anyone seen a power supply that attaches this way? Does this design have a name so that I can look for a replacement? I've looked online and the OEM PSU is a minimum of $150 to replace. I'd rather not spend that much money for a 400W power supply. Especially for a computer this old.

I've already spent a ton of time trying to find an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Best solution

a c 1194 ) Power supply
December 24, 2011 10:30:26 PM

That's a proprietary form factor power supply made specifically for Sony by Delta. Sony loves screwing over their customers by doing that since it locks them into having to buy any replacement parts from Sony only.

A standard ATX form factor power supply will be electrically compatible (i.e. in terms of the power connectors) but not physically compatible (i.e. in terms of physical dimensions and mounting points).

If you're willing to do your own case modding you might be able to get a standard ATX form factor power supply into that case.
December 24, 2011 11:36:22 PM

Best answer selected by uscpsycho.
Score
December 24, 2011 11:39:37 PM

Yep, I plugged the ATX connectors into the computer just to make sure that my power supply was the problem.

It seems like if I took the ATX power supply parts out of their case i could put them into the Sony supply case and remount it but the ATX parts would probably be loose on the inside of the OEM case. Is that a problem?

Anyone know where I might be able to get this OEM power supply on the cheap?
Score
!