Sign in with
Your question
Closed

System crashed, and now won't restart

Last response: in Components
December 24, 2011 9:39:00 PM

Hello,

HI there. The other day I was using my computer for general web-browsing, when my system froze solid. To the point that Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't even work. I shut the system down, and tried to restart it, and....nothing. Well...not quite nothing. My system screen comes up (Blue screen, says HP Invent) and gives me the normal options (Esc to boot, F10 for Bios, etc). Then the screen goes black, with a white cursor blinking in the left hand corner, and stops.

I have a HP Pavilion M7750N running windows 7 32-bit. At this point I don't remember how much ram etc is on it, but I haven't made any hardware or software changes recently.

Reading through a help guide I found on here, I decided that perhaps my Power supply was to blame, so I went and bought a new one and installed that (Thermaltake TR2 430W). After I got everything hooked back up, I get the exact same result. Blue logo comes up, goes black with the white cursor, and stops. I cannot hear any beeping from the system, and I am not getting any error messages. Nor do I recall seeing any before the system crashed.

I tried creating a recovery disc on my girl friends computer, and I can boot to it and try and run the startup repair tool, which tells me everything is fine.

I attempted to restore my machine to an earlier point, which appears to have worked, but didn't solve the problem in any way.

I'm able to get to a command prompt, and I can see my hard drive and move around on it.

Any thoughts on other things I can try?

More about : system crashed restart

December 24, 2011 9:49:10 PM

tjgypsy2 said:
Hello,

HI there. The other day I was using my computer for general web-browsing, when my system froze solid. To the point that Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't even work. I shut the system down, and tried to restart it, and....nothing. Well...not quite nothing. My system screen comes up (Blue screen, says HP Invent) and gives me the normal options (Esc to boot, F10 for Bios, etc). Then the screen goes black, with a white cursor blinking in the left hand corner, and stops.

I have a HP Pavilion M7750N running windows 7 32-bit. At this point I don't remember how much ram etc is on it, but I haven't made any hardware or software changes recently.

Reading through a help guide I found on here, I decided that perhaps my Power supply was to blame, so I went and bought a new one and installed that (Thermaltake TR2 430W). After I got everything hooked back up, I get the exact same result. Blue logo comes up, goes black with the white cursor, and stops. I cannot hear any beeping from the system, and I am not getting any error messages. Nor do I recall seeing any before the system crashed.

I tried creating a recovery disc on my girl friends computer, and I can boot to it and try and run the startup repair tool, which tells me everything is fine.

I attempted to restore my machine to an earlier point, which appears to have worked, but didn't solve the problem in any way.

I'm able to get to a command prompt, and I can see my hard drive and move around on it.

Any thoughts on other things I can try?

Do you have another computer you can swap hard drives out sounds like either hard drive crapped out or a virus attacked your operating system. If you can swap a hard drive out and that works your best bet is to get a new one and use your other as secondary witha good anti-malware program running on the main hard drive
December 24, 2011 9:59:28 PM

Technically yes, I do, I suppose I could use my girl friends computer and test this, but I'm really, REALLY hesitant to do so unless absolutely nothing else presents itself. Question, though, does the fact that I can get to my hard drive from the recovery disc mean anything? Or is it possible that my OS is, in fact, toast? Also, if I can find my initial Win7 install discs, is there anything on there that's more useful than the recovery disc I created?
Related resources
December 25, 2011 12:20:42 AM

Unless you can actually physically access files on the hard drive you are probably just running off the recovery disk. If you have the actually windows 7 disk then I would try using it to repair, as the actual install disk not the upgrade will offer to repair or install. You could alos try swapping your hard drive into your girl friends computer and set it as a secondary hard drive to even see if you can access any files. BE SURE IF YOU DO THAT TO HAVE A GOOD ANTI VIRUS RUNNING
December 25, 2011 12:45:22 AM

put this drive as slave in another mobo the use the drive maker tool to test it
December 25, 2011 1:08:56 AM

I believe that I am actually accessing those files, I know I get error messages when I try and run them, and I know that the file structure I see is from my computer, even though I made the disk on her computer. I will keep searching for the original install disk as I'm starting to think that may be my last, best hope.
December 25, 2011 1:12:54 AM

if you could acces the disk from your mobo the use the test disk from maker directly on it
December 25, 2011 5:02:44 AM

Id try replacing the sata or ide cable from the HD first. Along with trying a different sata or ide connection on motherboard.

Then if you take your girlfriends HD. Theres possibility it wont boot up either.

If you dont care about your data. Id just delete partition, format, then clean install.
If you have 2-partitions. The smaller one is your backup OS. Dont delete it, unless you dont want it anymore.
December 26, 2011 9:48:31 AM

It would appear that something was wrong with the boot sector of the disk. I was able to locate an old copy of Windows XP, so I renamed my current windows directory and installed Windows XP on the machine. Currently I am able to use the machine like normal. I have run a virus and malware scan, now I'm just hoping I can find my Win7 install disc to see if it's possible to restore the installation of Win7 to a working install.
December 26, 2011 1:41:25 PM

Sounds like your on the right track TJGypsy2 like i said either a hard drive issue or a operating system issue. Glad to here you had another copy of windows to use. If worst to worst comes where you cant repair the operating system "win7" then use it as a slave so you dont loose your data. Again though you will need the full install dvd not the upgrade as the upgrade is limited on features
December 31, 2011 12:27:48 AM

Seems like the issue is all fixed, and much easier than I would have thought. I had tried buying a new power supply, but that didn't fix the issue, so I went back to looking at the OS. Tried re-installing Win7 from the installation CD, and worked like a charm. It even moved my old installation into a windows.old directory, so I didn't lose any data at all, near as I can tell. (I had hesitated to try this, as I thought part of the installation involved formatting the HD. Apparently not.)

So, all is well in my world! Thanks very much for all the help.

TJG

Best solution

January 1, 2012 12:31:05 AM

Nope any windows "installation disk" not upgrade as long as it detects the current os will give the option to repair and yes also give the option to keeps "old windows files" So glad that all is well now let me know if you ever need or have a question
January 1, 2012 1:35:56 AM

Best answer selected by TJGypsy2.
!