Is the BIOSTAR A85 Hi-fi FM2 mobo BAD

Hever

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Looking to buy a good mobo for the amd trinity A10.

This one has very good audio features as shown on this techpowerup link -
http://www.techpowerup.com/167379/Biostar-Displays-Hi-Fi-Series-A85-based-Socket-FM2-Motherboards.html

BIOSTAR HI-FI A85W Socket FM2

Is it a good buy for trinity A10 ? or is the biostar always bad for making mobos ? And buying another reasonable mobo and an additional sound card would make the audio more better.

My usage will be surfing and music mainly - but if the audio can be made better (FOR REASONABLE OR BUDGET PRICE) than I would like to do so.

If not - whats a good mobo for the A10 for very good (NOT Extreme OC) - price shouldnt be too high. Also A55 is a complete no.
Else Or I should wait for some more FM2 mobos to be launched in some days - like 3-5 days ?

Solution
I've had the BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W for quite a while, and it has been good for my needs. It's a good MOBO for a cheap build, but I would try to go for something a little bit better if you have more financial resources.

Hever

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
One biostar TA758GE mobo I have used has worked well for me - although its not amongst the best in class - but atleast it didnt gave me any ISSUES. So I agree that biostar is not in the league of other ones - but still what difference it can be in it and another similar price range mobo of asrock / gigabyte or else ?

Also is the BIOSTAR HI-FI A85W Socket FM2 bad for OCing the A10 as well ?

My main attraction in it was the new better sound feature.

The Biostar Hi-Fi series is aimed towards the users. Biostar is slowly working its way to making its name for itself. If its anythink like the z77 version heres the Hi-Fi z77 version, then its a moderately good board. I'm making that assumption as both motherboards are fairly new(the Fm2 is obviously new since its the new trinity board, the z77 was recently reviewed today.

The best rule of thumb when gauging the relative value of PC components is shockingly simple, you get what you pay for. Biostar isn't consistently awful -- there are worse manufacturers out there -- but they are several leagues out from competing with the likes of Asus at the ultra high end. If I had to slot them in a one dimensional hierarchy of mainboard manufacturers I would craft it something like this:

Biostar/Gigabyte -> MSI/ASRock -> Asus.

All of the manufacturers above have a spectrum quality, meaning that some boards will simply be better than others. Asus is the most consistent because they price differentiate by sacrificing features rather than construction quality. Occasionally they have hiccups but I've been using Asus boards for almost 20 years and never had a problem.

If you're looking to overclock, Biostar is probably not the best solution. Some of their boards have stability problems and a cheap board simply will not last. All in all, I don't recommend overclocking AMD APUs, they're not enthusiast chips. If you want performance, especially reliable performance, you need to be prepared to pay for it rather than cross your fingers.

Hever

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Ok then can you guys suggest me a very good FM2 mobo - A85 I prefer or the A75. That has -

I would want -

2 suggestions -

I prefer In both the advices -
1) 4 DDR3 slots (more frequency supported the better)
2) Good features - like some better mobos provide.
3) price - I would prefer reasonable - but definitely not the average mobo and also not like too much as well.

One mobo suggestion that is very good allaround but Not for OC (as I dont think I can OC the A10 much beyond 4.4GHZ - unless I spend a lot) + 3.8GHZ to just 4.4 GHZ is not worth spending too much on a expensive mobo and cooler.

One mobo choice that has good OC capability but is not very expensive.

Also is just buying a cooler like Hyper evo all I need to get the OC for Amd to 4.4Ghz or 4.4+. I would not like to spend much.

Thanks really.

I suggest you choose a vender and link it; I use newegg.com. They notify you by email when a new product comes in. Until the boards are available, there's no point in choosing a board now. None of the folks here have tested any yet. Just be patient and wait a little longer.

Hever

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Seen some reviews of biostar A85 -

LucidLogix Virtu MVP receives support for AMD Trinity APU | Tech News Pedia
http://technewspedia.com/lucidlogix-virtu-mvp-receives-support-for-amd-trinity-apu/

Manufacturers like biostar motherboard (recently announced Hi-Fi motherboard socket FM2 ) announced that the utility LucidLogix Virtu MVP will come as part of bundle their motherboards, so we assume that you may also be included on some motherboards other manufacturers such as Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, among others.

Which is good as below -
LucidLogix Virtu MVP increase the graphics performance of Trinity in up to 35% | Tech News Pedia
http://technewspedia.com/lucidlogix-virtu-mvp-increase-the-graphics-performance-of-trinity-in-up-to-35/

This review gave GOLD award to biostar and rating of 9.3 -
http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/review-of-biostar-hi-fi-a85x-socket-fm2-trinity-motherboard-with-a10-5800k-processor/16/

In Conclusion, I give BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85X our Gold Award largely due to it’s price/performance ratio and impressive on board graphics.

And - what about this 7.3GHz OC by Biostar -

IN4.pl - AMD A-10 5800K wykrecony do 7317 MHz
http://www.in4.pl/news_AMD_A-10_5800K_wykr%C4%99cony_do_7317_MHz,25546.htm

Not saying that I or other users will run it at 7.3GHz normally but - atleast proves its not an ordinary mobo, now.

So would anybody still say I should not get it - keeping the fact that a $130 mobo will be much more pricey. Any competition at the price of $100, left then ?

Dirk_p_broer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010

For that price the only competition comes from the Asrock FM2A85 Extreme 6

0Anonymous0

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I've had the BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W for quite a while, and it has been good for my needs. It's a good MOBO for a cheap build, but I would try to go for something a little bit better if you have more financial resources.

Solution