Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New 6850 horizontal line or flicker on LCD TV but not computer monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2011 4:42:56 PM

Hey everyone,

I've just upgraded from a GeForce GT 220 to a new ASUS HD 6850 (EAH6850) and everything is great with the exception of one little issue that I just can't figure out

My computer monitor is connected via DVI and my TV is connected HDMI [LCD HD TV - 47LG50].

When I watch video on the TV, there's a tiny little horizontal line towards the bottom of the screen. It kinda looks like the video is just off, or misaligned below that line. BUT, when I watch video on my computer monitor, I don't notice that line. Yes, most up-to-date drivers.

Can anyone of you please give me some starting points or ideas for this one.

thanks very much.
July 23, 2011 4:44:53 PM

Wasn't sure if I was clear, but this only happens when watching video. If I just look at the TV monitor right now, it's fine.
Score
Related resources
July 23, 2011 9:59:40 PM

I also installed the ASUS Catalyst Control Center. If I select the TV as the preferred display, that screen tear on the TV is now gone, but it's now on the monitor instead.

I've been looking for something called vsync (so I can turn it on or off) but can't find it.
Score
July 24, 2011 12:29:53 AM

Update - I just installed the ATI CCC. Under the 3D section, in the ALL tab, at the very bottom is the "wait for vertical refresh". I tried it all the way to the left (always off) and all the way to the right (always on) and neither of the two had an effect and the tearing was still there.
Score
July 24, 2011 2:52:14 PM

I just filled out the tech support request with ASUS and described the entire events. I'll update with any of their comments and I'll continue to try to figure this out.
Score
July 25, 2011 12:34:10 PM

ASUS replied to my tech support ticket and suggested it could be a TV Compatibility issue - but we know that the tv has no tear when the tv is set as the prefered display.

(again - when the tv is set as the prefered, there's a tear in the computer monitor. BUT when the computer monitor is set as the prefered, there's a tear in the tv)

This one is confusing me to no end!!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Score
July 25, 2011 8:03:27 PM

LOL - I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with ASUS Tech Support in Mexico listening to the rep complain about how slow their bandwidth is as he was downloading the manual for the video card I was calling about. Can you believe that. Then, after 40 minutes, he transfered me to Indiana; hopefully they know what video tear is.

I'll keep ya posted.
Score
July 25, 2011 8:25:58 PM

I've been on hold for 1 hour and bounced around from rep to rep. NOW I just got a "You're session cannot continue at this time. Please try again later. Goodbye."

Maybe I shouldn't have switched from nvidia. Kinda regret my decision now.
Score

Best solution

July 26, 2011 11:37:00 AM

Hi, I had a similar problem with flickering horizontal lines when playing a video or scrolling a web page etc. Always on the secondary display/desktop. I turned off AMD Overdrive and the problem went away.

Hope this helps.
July 26, 2011 12:18:15 PM

I don't recall enabling Overdrive but I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the help Punde.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:09:28 PM

I also have my TV connected via hdmi and monitor via dvi. If the overdrive/overclocking is not the problem, try adjusting overscan to 0 (zero) from flat panel scaling options somewhere (CCC). It might make the image on your TV have borders, but you can possibly correct this from your TV's settings.

There's also reports that going back to CCC version 10.6 works for some people.

These are very frustrating problems, I had been battling with this for three hours today before trying the overdrive thing as pretty much the last resort.
Score
July 26, 2011 1:58:18 PM

Thanks Punde - which CCC are you using? AMD or ASUS?
Score
July 26, 2011 2:25:39 PM

I'm using display driver v. 8.850.0.0 and AMD VISION Engine v. 2011.0524.something, not the latest if I remember correctly but quite recent.
Score
July 29, 2011 12:21:49 PM

Update and possible fix for anyone else:

A great friend "Moloquin" came over and played with some settings and was able to get a work-around in place and it runs without any tear.

In CCC, first we got rid of the most up-to-date version and back-dated 2 versions.
Then we set the computer monitor as the primary and the tv feeds off the monitor but most importantly was switching it over from 4:4:4 to YCbCr 4:2:2. Once we (he) did that, tear was gone on both the monitor and TV.

Punde - a shout out to you to express my gratitude for your help too.
Score
September 10, 2011 12:49:58 AM

I Have a Gigabyte 6850 and also have a two monitor setup.
One is my primary pc monitor (running of the dvi)
And my second is a brand new LG lcd tv (running of hdmi)
both are HD, 1080p and is running on 1920x1080
My AMD Catalyst version is 11.4

I basically have the exact same problem as Duker and wbarobinson
If I Run the monitors in duplicate mode then the TV monitor has a nasty constant tear.
But strangely in extend mode it doesn't happen.

I Have tried all combinations of:
- Switching off all overdrive settings (Both AMD overdrive and LCD Overdrive)
- Running all the different pixel formats (This only seems to move the tear up and down slightly)
without any success.

Anyway my question is: Does anyone know of any other possible solutions to my problem?

*By the way I'm using CCC version 11.4 because, 11.5+ versions gave me some strange pixelated Effect on my video playback
Score
September 17, 2011 3:05:08 AM

HeXeN Overload said:
I Have a Gigabyte 6850 and also have a two monitor setup.
One is my primary pc monitor (running of the dvi)
And my second is a brand new LG lcd tv (running of hdmi)
both are HD, 1080p and is running on 1920x1080
My AMD Catalyst version is 11.4

I basically have the exact same problem as Duker and wbarobinson
If I Run the monitors in duplicate mode then the TV monitor has a nasty constant tear.
But strangely in extend mode it doesn't happen.

I Have tried all combinations of:
- Switching off all overdrive settings (Both AMD overdrive and LCD Overdrive)
- Running all the different pixel formats (This only seems to move the tear up and down slightly)
without any success.

Anyway my question is: Does anyone know of any other possible solutions to my problem?

*By the way I'm using CCC version 11.4 because, 11.5+ versions gave me some strange pixelated Effect on my video playback

Then we set the computer monitor as the primary and the tv feeds off the monitor but most importantly was switching it over from 4:4:4 to YCbCr 4:2:2. Once we (he) did that, tear was gone on both the monitor and TV.

Score
September 17, 2011 3:06:00 AM

Best answer selected by Duker.
Score
February 11, 2012 5:26:52 PM

Duker said:

Set your display mode from "Dual mode" to "Extended mode", no matter what is preferred display (monitor or TV).
The horizontal flickering line was gone. Switching "AMD Overdrive" off has no effect to flickering line on TV.
Score
a b C Monitor
February 11, 2012 5:28:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!