Sign in with
Your question

New Intel Gaming build

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2011 8:04:14 AM

Hey guys this weekend I'm going to be purchasing my parts for my gaming PC. I am going to be using it mostly for gaming and occasional video editing. Also I'm going to be overclocking the CPU and GPU.

Here are the parts that I have picked out. I would appreciate if anyone had any suggestions let me know how everything looks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600

Video Card: Twin Frozr 580

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60

More about : intel gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 8:25:04 AM

ahh good, except I'd go with an air cooler over the H60 just for maintenance reasons, and a single 580 only needs a 600W PSU. I suggest the Antec HCG 620W instead of the 850 you have. Unless you plan to SLI
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:26:41 AM

Nice build, love that 650d :) 

PSU - Id recommend looking at 900-1000w (if you ever intend to SLI) or if you only plan to run a single card, 650-750w is plenty ans save yourself some money. Recommended PSU brands include: Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Antec. Id also recommend looking for a Modular PSU.

Motherboard - Going for a new GEN3 board might be worth while in a new build. The ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 is priced very similarly to the -v PRO and has almost identical features with the added bonus of PCI 3.0 support. (The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is cheaper - but it doesn't have front panel USB 3.0 support - which your case has 1 of).
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 8:30:44 AM

If you are going with a single card, there is a great sale atm on PC power and cooling Silencer MarkII 650W 80+ silver at newegg. $69.99 with CC before $20 MIR.
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:32:39 AM

Im buying a single 580 right now but I do plan to SLI later on
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:33:14 AM

rvilkman said:
If you are going with a single card, there is a great sale atm on PC power and cooling Silencer MarkII 650W 80+ silver at newegg. $69.99 with CC before $20 MIR.

Wow that's a good deal. Silencer MKII has great reviews!
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:33:27 AM

What kind of CPU cooler would you guys recommend?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 8:41:09 AM

bamdaman90 said:
Hey guys this weekend I'm going to be purchasing my parts for my gaming PC. I am going to be using it mostly for gaming and occasional video editing. Also I'm going to be overclocking the CPU and GPU.

Here are the parts that I have picked out. I would appreciate if anyone had any suggestions let me know how everything looks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600

Video Card: Twin Frozr 580

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60

Good build. That psu though is going to struggle pushing dual 580's and it will leave you zero head room not to mention it will be running balls to the wall and as hot as a fried egg with two of those cards thus shortening the life span.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $683.98 - $35.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply
MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Here's a case that's new on the market and just came out on newegg a few days ago. It has better cooling/airflow than that 650D along with built in fan controllers and dust filters.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 - $114.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:43:17 AM

Why_Me said:
not to mention it will be running balls to the wall and as hot as a fried egg

Haha!
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:43:40 AM

1} Upgrade to a higher-end motherboard which will be more suitable for overclocking and offer extra SATA as well as USB 3.0 ports. # motherboards at around 180-200 $ that I can recommend are Asus P8Z68 v-pro. If you plan on tri-SLI, then ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 and a good alternative is MSI Z68-GD 65 (B3)
2} If you are a serious over-clocker, an H60 will not fulfill your needs. So, if you plan to overclock to unreasonable rates H80 or H100 will be better suited.
3} At $20 less and same performance, the Samsung Spin-Point F3 is an infinitely advisable hard disk.

Rest, case, processor and GPU are all excellent.
A suggestion would be so that you can maintain brand uniformity, I would recommend the Corsair HX 850W PSU which is the best product in it's class and also goes with your case, RAM and water cooler.
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:53:44 AM

Now I'm deciding between air cooled or water cooled cpu cooler.
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:54:00 AM

if you want to stay under 4 ghz than 212+ is the best.
if you want to go above 4 ghz than noctua dh-14,thermaltake frio(non OCK),CM V8,
V6 GT,Megahlems with some good n quiet fans eg. CM sickflow,xigmatek dark knight.i dont recommend frio OCK because theres not much difference between normal frio and OCK but OCK is larger and harder to fit.by the way your case is enough to fit any of the HSF that i mentioned here.

dh-14 is huge and messy but once you got it installed you will not stop smiling with its capabilities.frio (dual fan) is the second best choice it can go 100+ CFM but a slightly louder than dh-14 at high.V8 and V6 are popular for their super performance but also for their huge bodies.Megahalems is a very heatsink but you can install your own fans for desired performance.you can also add two fans in 212+
its your choice.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 8:54:24 AM

animesh singh said:
1} Upgrade to a higher-end motherboard which will be more suitable for overclocking and offer extra SATA as well as USB 3.0 ports. # motherboards at around 180-200 $ that I can recommend are Asus P8Z68 v-pro. If you plan on tri-SLI, then ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 and a good alternative is MSI Z68-GD 65 (B3)
2} If you are a serious over-clocker, an H60 will not fulfill your needs. So, if you plan to overclock to unreasonable rates H80 or H100 will be better suited.
3} At $20 less and same performance, the Samsung Spin-Point F3 is an infinitely advisable hard disk.

Rest, case, processor and GPU are all excellent.
A suggestion would be so that you can maintain brand uniformity, I would recommend the Corsair HX 850W PSU which is the best product in it's class and also goes with your case, RAM and water cooler.

If you go to the Nvidia and/or EVGA forums, there's more than a few peeps who have had their 850w psu's smoked running two of those cards for lack of watts and amps.
m
l
September 23, 2011 9:01:56 AM

The problem with those huge heat sinks is the noise, so I guess ill go with the H80
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 9:06:26 AM

Indeed, i believe anandtech did some tests on it and with overclocks on GPU and CPU the powerdraw was in the 900W range.
Thus 1000W+ for 580SLI.

My suggestion would be Corsair HX1050 that why_me also listed or Corsair AX1200.
m
l
September 23, 2011 9:13:17 AM

Why_Me said:
If you go to the Nvidia and/or EVGA forums, there's more than a few peeps who have had their 850w psu's smoked running two of those cards for lack of watts and amps.

If he plans to SLI, which I did not know, then the newly-launched HX 1050 is the route to go. It may be over-kill, but with a 7 year warranty and enough power to run pretty any setup. And any praises cannot be sung foor Corsair's HX, TX & AX Power supplies at their respective price points.
m
l
September 23, 2011 9:16:53 AM

If you go with water-cooling then your case is an amazing choice among mid-tower cases, do not change your choice, unless you want to upgrade to a full-tower, in which case (pun intended) the Corsair Obsidian 800d is pricier but unmatched in nearly all spheres. Again, these cases are build more towards water-cooling.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 9:25:29 AM

bamdaman90 said:
What kind of CPU cooler would you guys recommend?

in he same price range as that H60, I'll suggest a Noctua DH14
m
l
September 23, 2011 5:47:39 PM

there are a bunch of coolers in market.noctua dh-14,thermaltake frio(dual fan),coolermaster V8,coolermaster V6 GT,thermaltake frio OCK,Megahalems,Dark Knight,212+._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _- _ _ _ _ _ _ - - - - - - - __--_ -_- -- - - - - - - .
who says that h60 is not a good cooler.it is one of the best.Just change the stock fan with with some thing good n quiet like CM sick flow or CM R4 120mm fans in a push pull configuration and you will easily go above 4 ghz without hell of a noise.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 5:51:30 PM

never said the H60 was *bad*

I just said I prefer air over water cooling for everyday use because water is high maintenance.
m
l
September 23, 2011 5:56:57 PM

i know that WC kits need more maintainence but i think a person who cannot take out time to "maintain" his rig should never build a rig (.".)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 8:14:20 PM

hellfire24 said:
i know that WC kits need more maintainence but i think a person who cannot take out time to "maintain" his rig should never build a rig (.".)

That makes zero sense. Some people don't like to be messing with their rigs all the time. Less maintenance the better. Myself, I would rather have more time to game then to be messing with it.

m
l
September 24, 2011 6:52:43 PM

do you think maintenance of your rig is "messing with it".well if so then this is not the right place for you.go find some highly paid job where you just have to sit on the chair,collect your money and go home.there are people who made their own custom liquid cooling systems and they dont consider it a mess at all.i am also using a megahalems with CM sickflow fans but i respect those who take out time two make single or double loop cooling for their computers.so dont call it a mess.okay.if you dont want it then its okay but dont call it a mess.i am also going to water cool my rig in a few weeks.i am collecting money.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2011 7:06:28 PM

hellfire24 said:
do you think maintenance of your rig is "messing with it".well if so then this is not the right place for you.go find some highly paid job where you just have to sit on the chair,collect your money and go home.there are people who made their own custom liquid cooling systems and they dont consider it a mess at all.i am also using a megahalems with CM sickflow fans but i respect those who take out time two make single or double loop cooling for their computers.so dont call it a mess.okay.if you dont want it then its okay but dont call it a mess.i am also going to water cool my rig in a few weeks.i am collecting money.

Peeps that use water cooling with a Sandy Bridge build are either enthusiast (hobbyist) who get off on decking out their rig, or there's the old school peeps that don't know any better and still think you need water cooling for decent temps. When you can get to 5.0Ghz on air cooling with these chips why make things more complicated especially when you get zero more FPS after 4.4Ghz with these chips?

I know peeps that spend hours screwing with their rigs decking them out and those are the enthusiast (hobbyist) and that's cool if that's their thing. Myself, I would rather spend those hours gaming while spending less $$$ for the same performance. Less maintenance and $$$ = better imo.
m
l
September 24, 2011 7:33:32 PM

Why_Me said:
Peeps that use water cooling with a Sandy Bridge build are either enthusiast (hobbyist) who get off on decking out their rig, or there's the old school peeps that don't know any better and still think you need water cooling for decent temps. When you can get to 5.0Ghz on air cooling with these chips why make things more complicated especially when you get zero more FPS after 4.4Ghz with these chips?

I know peeps that spend hours screwing with their rigs decking them out and those are the enthusiast (hobbyist) and that's cool if that's their thing. Myself, I would rather spend those hours gaming while spending less $$$ for the same performance. Less maintenance and $$$ = better imo.

i agree with you man but i am just hanging out with you!!!!!!!!!!!(NO OFFENCE) :sol: 
so now whats your recommendation for his built. :whistle: 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2011 7:55:33 PM

hellfire24 said:
i agree with you man but i am just hanging out with you!!!!!!!!!!!(NO OFFENCE) :sol: 
so now whats your recommendation for his built. :whistle: 

Both of these cpu h/s down below allow to add another fan to them for a "push - pull effect" and both will let you o/c to the moon and back and do it for cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $49.99 FREE SHIPPING
Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm Heat Pipe CPU Cooler

or this one due out on newegg any day now...

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id... $49.99
Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $683.98 - $35.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply
MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 - $114.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2011 8:29:05 PM

hellfire24 said:
well nxzt phantom is one of the well known case for looks and performance and is only $120.so i think a phantom is better than 500r IMO.
this one is also a good option-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

No offense, but the day anyone on here who's been around for awhile takes a NZXT case over a Corsair is same day we see 120+ degree temps here in Alaska.

Things to look at. Size, cooling/airflow as in ventilation, cable management, built in multiple fan controllers, options to add more fans, front USB 3.0 ports, dust filters, and of course reputation.
m
l
September 25, 2011 1:51:18 AM

Thank you guys for all your responses its giving me a lot of choices to work with.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 25, 2011 5:26:23 AM

hellfire24 said:
well nxzt phantom is one of the well known case for looks and performance and is only $120.so i think a phantom is better than 500r IMO.
this one is also a good option-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ok I'm going to eat my words and take back what I said about that case. I just took a good look at it on newegg and checked it out on a review site and it's a super nice case. It only lacks the front USB 3.0 ports...at least from what I can see, but that's an easy fix seeing how they have sell those panels on newegg for around $10. That black and orange case made for newegg looks great.
m
l
September 25, 2011 6:49:41 AM

everything has its pros and cons WHY_me
m
l
!