Sign in with
Your question

Is a 2600k more future proof then 2500k?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 25, 2011 3:55:00 AM

I am fixing to do a new build soon and i just cant seem to come to a conclusion on which CPU. I understand the differences but in the end both are only quad core chips. So under full load you barely see any difference in most cases. A fully loaded core has nothing left to use for hyper threading...thus the reason they are so close in so many cases including multi threaded apps. Now my question is will that change in the future...or is that performance set. How does multi GPU setups fair off with either. I am hoping to get a good 5 years out of my next build, except for maybe new video cards later, and I just was wondering if the 2600k and its barely anything lead over a 2500k is worth the 100 now to be more set for the future(all the scaling benchmarks i have found suggest more cores doesnt help anyway...games fault or gpus?). THanks for any replys
a c 146 à CPUs
December 25, 2011 4:01:13 AM

zoenphlux said:
I am fixing to do a new build soon and i just cant seem to come to a conclusion on which CPU. I understand the differences but in the end both are only quad core chips. So under full load you barely see any difference in most cases. A fully loaded core has nothing left to use for hyper threading...thus the reason they are so close in so many cases including multi threaded apps. Now my question is will that change in the future...or is that performance set. How does multi GPU setups fair off with either. I am hoping to get a good 5 years out of my next build, except for maybe new video cards later, and I just was wondering if the 2600k and its barely anything lead over a 2500k is worth the 100 now to be more set for the future(all the scaling benchmarks i have found suggest more cores doesnt help anyway...games fault or gpus?). THanks for any replys

They're both pretty much the same CPU except the I7 has hyper threading and the I5 doesn't. So pretty much when one dies they both die.
m
l
!