Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to overclock my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600?

Last response: in CPUs
December 25, 2011 5:59:02 AM

Hello all!

This is my system:

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775

* GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-USB3 LGA 775 Intel G41 USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel.

* G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

* COOLER MASTER 800w.

* Windows 7 Home 64bit

(CPU)

(Motherboard)

(Power Supply)

(RAMS)

(Similar CPU Heatsink that I have, on bios it usually around 1400's RPM's with 21-25 c unloaded)

(Temps on Windows 7)

I would like to be able to overlock it to max if possible. Any help on this would be much appericated!

Updated: Sorry guys for not providing all the information. I am an amateur when it comes to computer tech.

P.S. Merry Christmas everyone!
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 25, 2011 6:21:33 AM

What cooler? Also there should be options around that area to allow you to overclock.
Score
a c 112 à CPUs
December 25, 2011 6:43:49 AM

although the q66 is a reasonable overclocker for its make they are very finikey about the amount of ram you have... if all 4 ram modules are used they often panic and wont allow any overclocking,
so supplying your specs like motherboard and ram would help also.
also what speeds you hoping to achive... coz 3.0 will be easy enough. 3.6 will take finess 4ghz will take a miracle. (but hey its XMAS ;)  )
Score
Related resources
December 25, 2011 6:46:13 AM

amuffin said:
What cooler? Also there should be options around that area to allow you to overclock.

It one of those cpu mid fan heatsink. Looks like this one but slightly different. On bios it usually around 1400 RPMs for fanwise with 21-25 c.

Also here's a screenshot of the temps with just basic system running with windows 7 which the computer been on since a day ago.

Score
December 25, 2011 7:12:17 AM

HEXiT said:
although the q66 is a reasonable overclocker for its make they are very finikey about the amount of ram you have... if all 4 ram modules are used they often panic and wont allow any overclocking,
so supplying your specs like motherboard and ram would help also.
also what speeds you hoping to achive... coz 3.0 will be easy enough. 3.6 will take finess 4ghz will take a miracle. (but hey its XMAS ;)  )

Merry Xmas too! :D 

I have 2 x 4GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3.

I would like to go as far as I can to get faster performance. Been using this processor for about 2 years though just upgraded new board/psu/rams. Another question too, if I do do manage to overclock it, would my CPU life be shorten alot?
Score
a c 112 à CPUs
December 25, 2011 9:40:34 AM

unless you go mad with volts the effect on the cpu should be minimal.. if anything the motherboard is likley to go b4 the cpu as caps have a shorter life expectancy. if a cpu has a life of 10 years and you overclock it 25 percent you may knock a year off the 10 years it had, due to the higher ware of the electrons moving round the silicon and the higher temps generated because of it... so no not much as long as its cleaned and maintained properly. also you would benefit from a faster/higher cfm fan because the lower you can keep temps the better and a strong fan will make all the difference even on a weak cooler. but its a trade of between noise and cooling.

i dunno if im looking at this rite but your 12v seems to be off by a fair amount maybe 1 of the guys who knows more about it can answer that 1.
Score
December 28, 2011 10:25:20 PM

Aww no one out there that can help me? I'll be happy with any increase than the basic 2.4 ghz :( 
Score

Best solution

a c 112 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 10:31:36 PM

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2007/07/25/overcl... heres a guide... i dunno how good it is or how far it will get you, but it will give an incite on how to do it.
from the quick scan of it i did it should get you to 3.0ghz on 1.35v or less
January 14, 2012 8:15:26 AM

Best answer selected by IndirectHero.
Score
!