Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon Customer Service

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 5, 2005 4:03:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I take back my previous comments, choking on my own words :)  regarding
Canon Customer Service in Irvine, CA.

I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera. This is
normally a 2-5 minute over- the-counter while-you-wait service. Today,
it took that long for Canon to explain why it couldn't be done because
of a 2-3 day waiting list. What?

The image sensor on the 20D is a problem. My observations indicate
that dirt is migrating from the textured plastic body onto the image
sensor when changing lenses. (The plastic is like a fine emery board
and it attracts dirt.) That observation seems to be correct. Canon in
Irvine has sent technicians to Florida to clean sensors for the
"professionals" at a golf tournament.

Meanwhile, back in Southern California, there is a customer service
waiting list for consumers, professional photographers and the
entertainment industry at the start of spring, just in time for the
Long Beach Grand Prix. I wonder how many other people will be risking
damage to their cameras by using something other than a hand blower to
clean out persistent dust...

Jeff

More about : canon customer service

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.

So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
around here cleaning it for me.

Scott
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Dirty Harry wrote:
> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

Does that seem like a lot? The total time in cleaning so far is maybe
two minutes, this does not seem like much to me.

Scott
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:44:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Confused wrote:
> I take back my previous comments, choking on my own words :)  regarding
> Canon Customer Service in Irvine, CA.
>
> I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
> to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera. This is
> normally a 2-5 minute over- the-counter while-you-wait service. Today,
> it took that long for Canon to explain why it couldn't be done because
> of a 2-3 day waiting list. What?
>
> The image sensor on the 20D is a problem. My observations indicate
> that dirt is migrating from the textured plastic body onto the image
> sensor when changing lenses. (The plastic is like a fine emery board
> and it attracts dirt.) That observation seems to be correct. Canon in
> Irvine has sent technicians to Florida to clean sensors for the
> "professionals" at a golf tournament.
>
> Meanwhile, back in Southern California, there is a customer service
> waiting list for consumers, professional photographers and the
> entertainment industry at the start of spring, just in time for the
> Long Beach Grand Prix. I wonder how many other people will be risking
> damage to their cameras by using something other than a hand blower to
> clean out persistent dust...
>
> Jeff

Sounds like a bit more testing, and some reengineering needs to be done
on that model.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Scott W wrote:
> Dirty Harry wrote:
>
>>3 times in 3 months is not a lot???
>
>
> Does that seem like a lot? The total time in cleaning so far is maybe
> two minutes, this does not seem like much to me.
>
> Scott
>
I guess it depends on how many pictures, and lens changes intervened.
April 5, 2005 7:14:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In message <1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
> the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
> enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
> swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
> the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
>
> So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
> all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
> around here cleaning it for me.

The air bulb usually does the trick for me, too. I learned with my
300D that going in with swabs using these old hands isn't a good idea.
The old saying "I'm not getting older, I'm getting better!" does not
apply to every aspect of the human experience. ;^)

Jeff
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:14:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Confused wrote:
> In message <1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
> "Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
>>the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
>>enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
>>swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
>>the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
>>
>>So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
>>all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
>>around here cleaning it for me.
>
>
> The air bulb usually does the trick for me, too. I learned with my
> 300D that going in with swabs using these old hands isn't a good idea.
> The old saying "I'm not getting older, I'm getting better!" does not
> apply to every aspect of the human experience. ;^)
>
> Jeff

Particularly NOT in the steadiness department. I fondly remember the
days when a 3-4 second hand-held exposure was no problem. Now the only
way to get good results is to put the camera on a rock, or other stable
support and use the 'self-timer'.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:00:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
> the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
> enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
> swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
> the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
>
> So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
> all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
> around here cleaning it for me.
>
> Scott

3 times in 3 months is not a lot???
April 5, 2005 10:56:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:00:21 GMT
In message <VPp4e.901455$8l.791677@pd7tw1no>
"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

> "Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
> > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
> > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
> > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
> > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
> >
> > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
> > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
> > around here cleaning it for me.
> >
> > Scott
>
> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???
>
April 5, 2005 11:53:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:00:21 GMT
In message <VPp4e.901455$8l.791677@pd7tw1no>
"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

> "Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
> > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
> > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
> > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
> > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
> >
> > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
> > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
> > around here cleaning it for me.
> >
> > Scott
>
> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

More or less often depending on shooting frequency, locations, weather
& wind, light, subjects, etc. This is the second time I've needed a
tech to clean the sensor glass in a year...old hands and sensitive
probes don't mix well with sensor dirt. ;) 

Jeff
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:07:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112683487.238113.12120@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> Dirty Harry wrote:
> > 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???
>
> Does that seem like a lot? The total time in cleaning so far is maybe
> two minutes, this does not seem like much to me.
>
> Scott

Not a lot of work, but increased odds of wrecking the sensor was my concern.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:30:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1112683487.238113.12120@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Scott W <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Dirty Harry wrote:
>> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???
>
>Does that seem like a lot?

It does to me. I have one of the very early 10D bodies, and I've cleaned it
once, ever.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:38:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:
>
> I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
> to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera.

Have you seen this???

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
April 5, 2005 1:38:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:

>
> "Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:
> >
> > I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
> > to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera.
>
> Have you seen this???
>
> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...

I haven't read that one...informative, and he's a good writer.
Thanks!

A statically charged brush makes a lot of sense. However, right now I
have what he describes as a "major headache".

Jeff
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:01:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Dirty Harry wrote:

>
> "Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
>> the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
>> enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
>> swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
>> the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
>>
>> So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
>> all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
>> around here cleaning it for me.
>>
>> Scott
>
> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

I've only cleaned my 10D three times in 1 1/2 years :-)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:42:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:02:40 GMT, Confused
<somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:

>"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> "Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:
>> >
>> > I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
>> > to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera.
>>
>> Have you seen this???
>>
>> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...
>
>I haven't read that one...informative, and he's a good writer.
>Thanks!
>
>A statically charged brush makes a lot of sense. However, right now I
>have what he describes as a "major headache".
>
>Jeff
I used the Sensor Brush but found that this only works if the dust is
dry. I was left with a smudge on the sensor so I had to buy the Pecpad
and fluid to complete the job. Since then a quick clean with the
brush is all that is needed.
eric phillips
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:44:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote in message
news:16v9i2-r5h.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org...
> In article <1112683487.238113.12120@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Scott W <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Dirty Harry wrote:
> >> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???
> >
> >Does that seem like a lot?
>
> It does to me. I have one of the very early 10D bodies, and I've cleaned
it
> once, ever.

I have 7500+ shots with my rebel and its still clean!
April 6, 2005 12:36:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:44:56 GMT
In message <s8A4e.906785$8l.500426@pd7tw1no>
"Dirty Harry" wrote:

> I have 7500+ shots with my rebel and its still clean!

One lens, eh? <grin>

I had my 300D's sensor cleaned by Canon around 18,000 cycles after
shooting a film crew that was making a Lexus commercial in downtown
Los Angeles during rush hour. They had a water tender that flooded
the street in between each pass of the Lexus and the camera. (The
camera was on the end of a 30 foot articulating crane mounted on a
matt black Mercedes SUV dolly.)

Wind, smog, dirt, dust, water...yeah, it was worth it. ;) 

Jeff
April 6, 2005 12:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Dirty Harry <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

> "Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1112669491.924799.63250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
> > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
> > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
> > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
> > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
> >
> > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
> > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
> > around here cleaning it for me.
> >
> > Scott
>
> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???


Mmm - intersting - on my E-1 I've not had to clean the sensor once - the
camera does it itself every time I switch it on, does slow the startup
time a little though - but bearable!
April 6, 2005 1:22:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

eric phillips <ericp@kooee.com.au> wrote:

> >> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_...
>
> I used the Sensor Brush but found that this only works if the
> dust is dry.

I found a french nylon brush with a wood handle at a cosmetics store.
After cleaning it with a can of air it removed 2/3 of the dust on the
sensor, leaving only the persistent stuff.

> I was left with a smudge on the sensor so I had
> to buy the Pecpad and fluid to complete the job.

I picked up a box of swabs similar to the Pecpac (by the same company
and uses the same cleaning methanol). They worked great, and a final
'cosmetic' brushing did the trick. Good as new!

> Since then a quick clean with the brush is all that is needed.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE TIPS AND ADVICE!

Jeff
April 6, 2005 1:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:44:07 -0500
In message <blr4e.8212$O85.2863@fe08.usenetserver.com>
Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

re 20D

> Sounds like a bit more testing, and some reengineering
> needs to be done on that model.

There's a lot of little things. The problem with sensor dust is the
plastic overhang above the sensor... it has a recessed space around it
that catches dust. Getting underneath it with the small nylon brush
got the final dust out that simply would not go away. It kept moving
on and off the sensor with the hand air bower.

Jeff
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:24:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:id5751lmp059dinibibv9ksmo63jvi2gd3@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:44:56 GMT
> In message <s8A4e.906785$8l.500426@pd7tw1no>
> "Dirty Harry" wrote:
>
> > I have 7500+ shots with my rebel and its still clean!
>
> One lens, eh? <grin>

actually 4....
28-105
18-55
50mm f1.4
and 70-300 zoom

I just take care to always have the opening in the camera pointed down and
try not to change in dusty locations...And as far as harsh locations go my
camera spent 2 months riding out in a storage compartment on a crane in -20
to -30C conditions...

--
www.harryphotos.com
April 12, 2005 9:36:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:24:40 GMT
In message <cGg5e.919317$Xk.519168@pd7tw3no>
"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

> "Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
> news:id5751lmp059dinibibv9ksmo63jvi2gd3@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:44:56 GMT
> > In message <s8A4e.906785$8l.500426@pd7tw1no>
> > "Dirty Harry" wrote:
> >
> > > I have 7500+ shots with my rebel and its still clean!
> >
> > One lens, eh? <grin>
>
> actually 4....
> 28-105
> 18-55
> 50mm f1.4
> and 70-300 zoom

(just for clarification... I <grin>'d because I was joking ;^)

> I just take care to always have the opening in the camera pointed down and
> try not to change in dusty locations...And as far as harsh locations go my
> camera spent 2 months riding out in a storage compartment on a crane in -20
> to -30C conditions...

That's the opposite condition of a summer of 90F - 110F in Los Angeles
County. Did you use the camera regularly in those conditions?
(Sounds like an interesting movie is due for release soon.)

Jeff
!