Nvidia 8400 gs (legacyt pci card)

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I build a new budget computer not to long ago, my plan is to game on it in the future when I have the money for a graphics card. Well I have an old legacy pci GPU and when I hook it up to my MSI sandy bridge motherboard it doesn't boot :(

I am wondering if there is anything I should be doing in order for the card to work properly, I know that the card works just fine because when I plug it into my old system it boots up just fine. Anyways I want to play my games now during the summer because I have some time on my hands, if any of you guys can help it would be much appreciated, so I am not bored some days when the tech news is a little slow.

mental2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Have you disabled the onboard graphics card in the BIOS? If you haven't then this will cause a conflict. Even if your mobo settings say it should auto detect the card there is still a good chance that it's auto detection is crap.

Are there a weird series of beeps when you boot? You can google "BIOS beep codes" this will help you diagnose it.

Can you run the machine with the default onboard graphics board (ie with your removed), if it's still blank, or still beeps the same way, there is a good chance it it's your RAM. Try removing the RAM modules and putting in one at a time, then booting, and then try the other one.