Sign in with
Your question

Advise on building a quiet $2000 performance pc

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2011 2:13:49 PM

I am planing on building a quiet pc for my living room. The computer should be able to stay on 24/7 without too much noise. I appreciate any advise. Thanks :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: within a month +/-

Budget Range: $2000 +/-

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo & Video Editing, Software development, Streaming video to my WDTV live box, surfing web, some gaming and to satisfy my incredible-fast-and-sexy-computer fetish

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, not important

Country of Origin: Norway

Parts Preferences: Intel processor, SSD and a couple >2 tb HDD

Overclocking: Maybe (Not important)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC
September 23, 2011 3:14:04 PM

There are tons of $2k builds listed here that will work if you just swap out air cooling for water. Avoid sli or xfire just to keep the fan noise from 2 cards down. So consider buying a GTX580. Use larger case fans and fewer of them for more volume and less noise. Dont skimp on the fans! Look for sleeve fans not ball bearing, sleeves are much quieter. HDDs are going to make noise as well. I suggest using all SSDs if you are willing to spend the cash. Maybe an ext network hd.
September 23, 2011 3:18:40 PM

Thanks.
I'm new to water cooling... Is that only for the CPU, or should watercooling be used on other parts as well?
September 23, 2011 3:31:07 PM

jstakk said:
Thanks.
I'm new to water cooling... Is that only for the CPU, or should watercooling be used on other parts as well?

You can use a w/c solution on any chip on the board but try the cpu first then if its still too noisy for you buy a gpu w/c later on. The cpu fan ramps up more then any other fan in the system so a lot of us just use the w/c on the cpu and no where else. It also saves a lot of space in your case if you need a smaller tower or have ram with tall heat spreaders.
!