Sign in with
Your question

2.0 & 7.1 together

Last response: in Components
December 25, 2011 11:13:04 AM

Hi Guys,
I'm not a whizz when it comes to sound cards or anything audio but I'm in a bit of a dilema. In our conservatory we have a 7.1 surround system and in our kitchen we have a 2.0 system. Now obviously to take full advantage of the 7.1 system we need the sound card set on 7.1 mode, or else some speakers wouldn't be doing anything. However when in 7.1 mode, the 2.0 system (connected to the same PC) sound thin and bassless as they aren't recieving all the channels unless I select 2.0 mode.

The card is a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series connected to both the 2.0 and 7.1 system. So my question is, would it be possible run the 2.0 system and the 7.1 simultaneously using all speakers on the 7.1 and with the 2.0 system sounding good?

Sound Card - Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
2.0 System - Creative Gigaworks T40 II
7.1 System - Creative Gigaworks S750

Thanks,
Tristan

More about : question

December 25, 2011 12:17:50 PM

NO, When you select 7.1 your sound is split into 8 separate channels. In 2.0 mode (stereo) the same amount of sound is combined into 2 channels, so when your in 7.1 mode and you select just the Right and Left front channels for your 2.0 system you are just missing to much. most notably everything that is on the center-channel and subwoofer channels.

While this is a somewhat oversimplified answer. it is the most accurate I can give you without writing 3 or more pages on the different forms of 7.1 and 2.0 and the types/ways of splitting and combining there of. :sol: 
December 25, 2011 4:19:58 PM

Thanks for your reply. Made good sense and I wasn't too hopeful on an easy way to get around the problem, but thanks for the clarification. Would a second sound card work? It may be hard but is it possible to get two sound cards working together, one sending out audio in 7.1 and the other in 2.0?

Thanks,
Tristan
December 25, 2011 8:45:20 PM

tjcoops said:
Thanks for your reply. Made good sense and I wasn't too hopeful on an easy way to get around the problem, but thanks for the clarification. Would a second sound card work? It may be hard but is it possible to get two sound cards working together, one sending out audio in 7.1 and the other in 2.0?

I doubt it, If there was ever a driver that didn't play well with other drivers sound card drivers would be at the top of the list with Creative drivers being at the very top. So the chance that 2 soundcard drivers would work well together is almost null.

About the only thing I think you could do is add an external DAC (digital to analog converter) to either down grade to stereo or up grade to 7.1 But you would also want to make sure that you could use both your digital and analog outs at the same time. On one of my other PC's I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Series Extreme Gamer with the added large break-out Console and I believe I can do that.

The only problem is that external DAC's tend to be pricey. About the cheapest decent DAC that I know of is the klipsch ProMedia DD-5.1 Digital Decoder/Preamplifer. They aren't made anymore but they can still occasionally be found on eBay for around $100-$150. Even that limits you to 5.1 but you could still probably do a decent down conversion to stereo. If you go that route make sure you get one with the remote as it's pretty useless without it. Still, you would definitely be better off with a DAC capable of 7.1.

Anyway Merry Christmas

P.S. I really like your Creative Gigaworks S750's they don't make quality surround sound speakers for PC's like that anymore and even the just recently off the market Logitech Z-5500's are a bad joke by comparison. NICE! :D 
!