Future proofing a built RAM-wise

andreascyp

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hi guys, My built is i5-3570k, 1155 Z77 Asrock extreme 6, Gigabyte 7970 OC.
I choose the Corsair 2x4GB Cl9-9-9-9-24 xmp 1600Mhz Low profile ram because
1) I read that z77 mobos have sometimes problems with higher frequency ram,
2)also that i will not see extra performance if i go above that 1600mhz,
3)tighter low timings is better that high mhz

The question is that the difference is price here is only 8 euro for a 2133mhz with CL11 (ex Patriot 8 gigabytes KIT DDR3 2133MHz CL11 Viper 3 (Black Mamba))

There is a hype now overclocking ram, watercooling ram etc..so there must be a reason they do it right..
Wouldn't i be better in the future if i go for the 2133mhz one???

stick with 1600Mhz ram. higher frequency ram will have a higher CL (latency) number. if you would benchmark a game with the slowest ram vs the fastest you would see 2-5fps difference which for me is not enough and with the K (unlocked) processors you will overclock the cpu by changing the multi and not base clock (like older processors) so the fastest ram will not help you. what im trying to say is back in the day you would get fast ram to have overhead for stability when increasing the base clock of your system which would increase your cpu AND your ram, but now with K processors you leave the base clock alone and increse the multi x on the cpu only

As to speed,
The current Intel cpu's have an excellent integrated ram controller. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram.

The difference in real application performance or FPS between the fastest and slowest ram is on the order of 1-3%.

Synthetic benchmark differences will be impressive, but are largely irrelevant in the real world.

Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing too.

In fact tall heat spreaders are a negative because they can impact some cpu coolers.
Only if you are seeking record level overclocks should you consider faster ram or better latencies.

Read this Anandtech article on memory scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/1
---------------bottom line------------

DDR3 1600 is the sweet spot considering the marginal cost delta over 1333.