Closed

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums! (Read Me First)

People are here to help you with your computer hardware or software issues, questions, or problems. Before you click on that Ask the Community button to create a new topic however, keep the following in mind:

Search

To see if anyone else has a problem similar to yours, use the Search box on the top of this page. You can sort search results by date or relevancy.

Stickies (Read 'Em)

Within many sections of this forum, you'll see topics listed in bold. These are "sticky" topics, written by some of the most knowledgeable people within the forum. They usually contain information that may answer your question.

Specify

If you have a problem, instead of just complaining about it with broad and ambiguous statements ("My hard disk does not show up in Windows, what do I do?"), try being specific and answer the following questions:

What is going wrong? - Specify what part(s) are going wrong, and provide a link to the appropriate product information or specification page. Example: My Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 300GB...
How is it going wrong? - Describe with as much detail how things are going wrong, and what you've tried yourself to resolve the problem. Example: appears in my BIOS interface, but when Windows loads it doesn't appear in My Computer. I've tried unplugging and replugging the drive, no dice.
When did it go wrong? - Share any circumstances that you think may be relevant to your problem. Give the overall picture. Again, be specific and use links! Example: This started happening after I installed that 550W power supply.

Try your best to answer What, How, and When, and you have a better chance of other forum users telling you Why. ;)

Style

Forum BBCode lets you add some style to what you write, making it easier to read. BBCodes use the [opentag]content[/closetag] format. Here's what you can do with BBCode:
[b]text[/b] - Makes text bold
[i]text[/i] - Makes text italicized
[u]text[/u] - Makes text underlined
[strike]text[/strike] - Makes text strikethrough
[url=mysite.com]text[/url] - Turns text into a link leading to mysite.com
[*]text - Puts a bullet point before the text (useful when you want to list numerous items)
[#AF261E]text[/#AF261E] - Changes the color of text to color #AF261E

Those result in:

text - Makes text bold
text - Makes text italicized
text - Makes text underlined
text - Makes text strikethrough
text - Turns text into a link leading to mysite.com
text - Puts a bullet point before the text (useful when you want to list numerous items)
text - Changes the color of text to color #AF261E

Place text within [quote &
21 answers Last reply
More about welcome hardware forums read first
  1. This needs to be posted EVERYWHERE.
  2. This topic has been sticky in top of the forum by Justinblue
  3. Thanks guys! I've added a section on images and the BBCode toolbar. Feel free to suggest revisions. :)
  4. sick
  5. Nice job, very informative.
  6. Thanks. I'm just new here and this one is very helpful.
  7. Nice well done!

Add this: strike to the "Style" section.

[strike]<text here> [/strike] 
  8. At what post count can I edit my messages?

Thanks
  9. There's no post count restriction for editing messages, but the UK forum is bugged and often won't let you.
  10. sorry guys. i am new here. how can i submit an article in the forum. i do not have a submit button on the screen. please help. thank you
  11. I am having the same problem. When I click "Ask the community" I get a window to enter my question but no submit button. HELP???
  12. randomizer said:
    This needs to be posted EVERYWHERE.

I agree!
  13. Where's the flag/report button? Or do you have to PM a mod?
  14. Above your post there are a couple of grey links. The right-most one is the report function. It used to be red but they changed it and now it's invisible.
  15. Ah, thanks. I usually gloss over them because they're grayed out. =X
  16. lotri said:
    Ah, thanks. I usually gloss over them because they're grayed out. =X

I know - took me a little bit to figure that one out myself. :)
  17. I've asked more than once for it to be changed back to red but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I should try again.
  18. randomizer said:
    I've asked more than once for it to be changed back to red but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I should try again.

Maybe they just don't want people to see the red and think "Shortcut to awesome!" and spam all the mods.
  19. If that was the plan it isn't working :lol:
  20. This topic has been desticky in top of the forum by R_manic
  21. This topic has been closed by R_manic
Ask a new question

Read More

Structure Tom's Hardware