Digital Photo Image File Renaming

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 5, 2005 5:07:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.

http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM

Formal and easily achieved image file naming consistency simplifies
organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a digital
camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files. Generated
file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of a
trouble to separate files between years, while this limitation permits
to maintain the most universal 8.3 naming standard. Ideally a digital
camera itself should do this job, but file naming seems to be of a
little concern for camera designers.

Program reads all not entirely digitally named *.JPG files within the
CURRENT directory and renames those that have recorded date and time
stamp (non-zero). Recorded date and time can be adjusted by a fixed
value to handle the situation when pictures were taken in a time zone
different from one where camera clock was set, or to correct error of
the camera clock. Along with file renaming program appends records
to the DESCRIPT.ION file providing initial description approximations
(with optional global comment) that can be adjusted manually later.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Veytsel

Vladimir Veytsel wrote:
> Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
> image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.
>
> http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM
>
> Formal and easily achieved image file naming consistency simplifies
> organization and maintenance of large picture archives.
>
> RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a digital
> camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files. Generated
> file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of a
> trouble to separate files between years, while this limitation permits
> to maintain the most universal 8.3 naming standard. Ideally a digital
> camera itself should do this job, but file naming seems to be of a
> little concern for camera designers.
>
> Program reads all not entirely digitally named *.JPG files within the
> CURRENT directory and renames those that have recorded date and time
> stamp (non-zero). Recorded date and time can be adjusted by a fixed
> value to handle the situation when pictures were taken in a time zone
> different from one where camera clock was set, or to correct error of
> the camera clock. Along with file renaming program appends records
> to the DESCRIPT.ION file providing initial description approximations
> (with optional global comment) that can be adjusted manually later.

That still doesn't address naming for those with multiple cameras. A
good naming system would include at least a code for the camera, and the
date and time. You would need more than 8.3 naming for an easily
readable filename. Does anyone really need to restrict their naming to
CP/M conventions these days?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:43:38 PM

> Vladimir Veytsel wrote:
> > Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
> > image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.
> >
> > http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM
> >
> > Formal and easily achieved image file naming consistency simplifies
> > organization and maintenance of large picture archives.
> >
> > RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a digital
> > camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files. Generated
> > file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of a
> > trouble to separate files between years, while this limitation permits
> > to maintain the most universal 8.3 naming standard. Ideally a digital
> > camera itself should do this job, but file naming seems to be of a
> > little concern for camera designers.
> >
> > Program reads all not entirely digitally named *.JPG files within the
> > CURRENT directory and renames those that have recorded date and time
> > stamp (non-zero). Recorded date and time can be adjusted by a fixed
> > value to handle the situation when pictures were taken in a time zone
> > different from one where camera clock was set, or to correct error of
> > the camera clock. Along with file renaming program appends records
> > to the DESCRIPT.ION file providing initial description approximations
> > (with optional global comment) that can be adjusted manually later.
> >
> That still doesn't address naming for those with multiple cameras. A
> good naming system would include at least a code for the camera, and the
> date and time. You would need more than 8.3 naming for an easily
> readable filename. Does anyone really need to restrict their naming to
> CP/M conventions these days?

I just use a batch file for copying files from my CF card that prompts for a
directory name, and puts a timestamp at the end of the name provided. It
then copies all files from the card to that directory. As long as my photos
are in a directory with meaningful info, I don't care what the indvidual
filenames are. But I do have rather simple requirements.
Related resources
April 6, 2005 11:26:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

> That still doesn't address naming for those with multiple cameras. A

> good naming system would include at least a code for the camera, and
the
> date and time. You would need more than 8.3 naming for an easily
> readable filename. Does anyone really need to restrict their naming
> CP/M conventions these days?

I use a 8.3 scheme with multiple cameras. Files come from the cameras
in form CRW_nnnn.crw or IMG_nnnn.jpg. I batch rename the first three
characters to a sequence of three characters: the first identifying the
year, the second the camera, and the third the month in the year.
Thus 5d4_5933.crw is 2005, camera 'd' and month 4; 4cb_9012.jpg is
2004, camera 'c' and month 11. I don't need thje time in the file
name. I set the camera clocks close enough that sorting by file or
exif time stamp meets my needs.

8.3 limited can be important when distributing files on CD to older
MACs, which didn't get native 'long' file name Joliet CD file system
support until OS X. Filenames longer than eight, when viewed on
earlier mac systems without a special MAC Joliet system extension, get
truncated to he first six characters plus '`n" where 'n' starts at 1.

Bob Shomler
April 8, 2005 6:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

On 6 Apr 2005 07:26:13 -0700, "Roberto" <bob2g@shomler.com> mumbled:

>> That still doesn't address naming for those with multiple cameras. A
>
>> good naming system would include at least a code for the camera, and
>the
>> date and time. You would need more than 8.3 naming for an easily
>> readable filename. Does anyone really need to restrict their naming
>> CP/M conventions these days?
>
>I use a 8.3 scheme with multiple cameras. Files come from the cameras
>in form CRW_nnnn.crw or IMG_nnnn.jpg. I batch rename the first three
>characters to a sequence of three characters: the first identifying the
>year, the second the camera, and the third the month in the year.
>Thus 5d4_5933.crw is 2005, camera 'd' and month 4; 4cb_9012.jpg is
>2004, camera 'c' and month 11. I don't need thje time in the file
>name. I set the camera clocks close enough that sorting by file or
>exif time stamp meets my needs.
>
>8.3 limited can be important when distributing files on CD to older
>MACs, which didn't get native 'long' file name Joliet CD file system
>support until OS X. Filenames longer than eight, when viewed on
>earlier mac systems without a special MAC Joliet system extension, get
>truncated to he first six characters plus '`n" where 'n' starts at 1.
>
>Bob Shomler

DIM is the program you want....freebie.

http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm
!