Sign in with
Your question

No keyboard will work in the bootup- Can't get to Bios

Last response: in Motherboards
October 10, 2012 1:46:48 PM

Well, the title says it all.

My roommates didn't plug the router into a surge protector, and when a huge bolt of lightning hit last week we lost internet. We got our new router today but I discovered a couple things:

1) My ethernet socket isn't working anymore- just a solid orange light, which from what I understand means it's dead. I had to go get a USB-to-Cat5 to get internet again.

2) I cannot access my bios! I was thinking about maybe reinstalling Windows 7 but my keyboard doesn't work until Windows starts booting up! I mash Delete and F12 but nothing works. The keyboard works fine once Windows starts up but I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. Is this because of the crit to the router?

Does anyone have any ideas? I've already tried using different keyboards. I use a Saitek Cyborg but I've tried a very basic USB keyboard, and even a serial one. I can't find another new PA-55-USB3 (the MoBo I use), and I would really hate to have to buy a new MoBo/CPU combo.

Any assistance you guys could provide would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2012 1:37:20 AM

You might have to buy more than that, a lightning strike can take the whole unit. Could not even find your mobo on ebay so you might be looking for a different processor and board.
m
l
October 15, 2012 5:24:05 AM

Are we talking video card? Because I recently bought a GTX 580. I don't want to have to buy another expensive card.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 6:49:20 AM

WhiteMousse said:
Are we talking video card? Because I recently bought a GTX 580. I don't want to have to buy another expensive card.

It depends, I know somebody from finland that had about the same, his SSD and mobo got fried.

You might not need to buy a new 580 but as it seems your mobo is fried at some points, that explains why your internet isnt working and it doesnt recognize the keyboard in the bios...

I think you'll probably need to buy a new motherboard and you'll be fine. But first test i'd test all of the hardware in another pc (and visa versa) to see if everything else still works fine.
m
l
!