Blaker13

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hey all about to build a htpc light gamer, wonder what everyone would suggest for parts on a 1000$ budget, amd, intel? Video card, or onboard, would like quiet and look nice with ever media option.... Tv recording? Memory, mono, dobo need ssd or is that just for boot time, have built home pc's but seems others think you should build the htpc differently, want 1080p and great sound...thanks for any help. I have priced out what o want bit it's about 1500....

besthtpc

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
For a 1000 $ you can get a silent game pc too.
why do you want to call it a HTPC. Do you want to put it in a specific case. small factor nice looking case that fits your media center.
What do you mean light gaming. Is that old games such as gta IV in 1920x 1080 with all graphic option on FULL?
Or flash games?
You will spend around 500$ on silent parts. which leaves you 500$ for the case.
Do you prefer an intel or an AMD configuration.
Great sound depends all on the source. If it is digital it stays digital and only a digital to analog converter from your amplifier could screw things up.
All low and and high end micro atx board (general a htpc board) have a spdif optical out. Also onboard or VGA HDMI support digital audio.
Buying a vga card get 1 with hdmi v 1.4 as that supports the complete set of 3d features.
for example this configuration
For processor we choose an Intel Core I3 2100.
I3 Cpu
This dualcore with Hyperthreading has 3 mb cahce en a clockspeed of 3.1GHZ. This makes this CPU great for converting media files. If your budget dont allow this CPU then get an AMD Athlon II X2

CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken.
It is very important that the HTPC is quiet. Thats why we do not pick the stock CPU Cooler but the Scythe Shuriken.
With a 100mm this cooler doesn’t make a sound.

Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M PRO
need of a compact system therefore you require a micro-atx board. The motherboard is very complete. 2 USB 3.0 ports, gigabit ethernet, s/pdif-connector (for digital output) and 6 sata connections. It also gives you room to add more harddisks in the future when the movie library expands.

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/2G
For an HTPC 2 GB is enough. But if you want to run a Virtual Machine or a Virtual Server then i would suggest to get at least 4gb.

VGA Card: Sapphire HD 6450 512MB DDR3
The HD 6450 is passive cooled, a must for an HTPC. It also supports DXVA. With DXVA the GPU is able to encode x264 (HD movies). If you are a NVIDIA fan get the GT520

Hard Disk: Hitachi Deskstar 5k3000 2TB
A “Green” economy disk which is reliable, cheap and quiet. The differences with Green harddisks of other manufacturers are minimal. Hitachi is not the only best choise.

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD04B
Out of all available cases we have choosen the GD04 because it is very short. It will fit in different entertainment center forniture. The case also includes a couple of quiet fans. If you wish a lower case you should get the SST-ML03B of the same manufacturer. But if you want more space for future expantion then we recommend the LC10-E.

Powersupply: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 330W
This model is able to supply 330Watt which is enough for the parts we have chosen. The 80plus Brons-certificate indicatates that the device is efficient with energy
This powersupply is again very quiet.

Optical drive: Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP
To play our Blu-ray discs. because of the nice design.

Remote Control: Enermax Aurora Micro Wireless

A traditional remote control keyboard can serve. But with the latest applications a smartphone can be used as remote control aswell.
A lot of people still want a keyboard. The Enermax is a good choice because it is compact and has a trackball. A seperate mouse is not required.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
On a $1000 budget ^^ that build looks seriously, seriously lacking. CPU cooler is about the only component id agree with.

......$500 for "silencing".......$500 would give me enough money to build a little house for the PC and shove it outside so it no matter how much noise it makes, I cant hear it......

@ OP post the build you had in mind to begin with, and ill see what money saving tweaks I can come up with.

$1000 is going to get you at least:
i5
4GB RAM
6870 (for your gaming)
Quiet CPU cooler
Good 500w PSU
A few TB storage
A good case with silencing features

-----

If these spec's are far too high for your needs, you could spend alot less and do a nice simple HTPC build for like $300$-$400.