Why is my drive missing on my new motherboard?

drpsyc

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
just transferred all my hardware over to a new motherboard (ASRock A785gm-le) with mostly no problems except my two IDE drives are missing. its hooked into my 300GB HDD first (which dosnt show up in the list of hdd's in the bios) then into an optical drive (which shows up in the bios but NOT windows 7, and i went into the computer management/ disk management utility in windows to look). any ideas? i hooked everything up. started the computer and it just stayed on the first picture load screen with the "press F whatever button" do go into different menus. then it booted up my main drive a SATA and went into windows. windows said the whole "found new hardware installing drivers" thing then reset. then it was stuck on the boot pic again for 30ish seconds went into windows put in the driver cd that came with the MB installed, reset. wait again. it never gave me the load up menu that im used to where it tells you the masters and slaves and ram and such. i finally give up and go to bed. when i wake up this morning it starts showing the boot menu im used to and not waiting on the picture one for 30 seconds but still no IDE drives... please help as ASRock has no technical support number and i cant wait for email there are files on that drive i need. also check back after you respond because i will be editing this as we go along until its fixed. thanks for all you help!

New motherboards today are coming through with AHCI enabled by default on the sata3 ports, if you have those drives connected to the sata 3 ports then you should connect them to the sata2 ports because I think those come through with IDE enabled , but either way it could be why your haveing problems you want to make sure that the ports those drives are connected to are sata2 ports and you want to go into the bios and make sure that the sata2 mode is IDE.

mad1316

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, first a quick item. It is never a good policy to connect a HDD and an optical drive to the same IDE channel, as all devices will be limited to the slowest speed on the channel, which will limit speeds to ata-33 (UDMA-2) max.

Another note: I have seen an increasing number of motherboard that don't natively support booting from IDE (few boards even have IDE ports anymore), so you may not be able to boot from your optical IDE drive.

The solution to your problem: Cabling/jumpers. When running IDE devices, you either have to have the jumpers set to cable select mode, and the master device must be the further from the motherboard (not the ideal solution, but simple to work with). Alternatively (and the better option), you have to set your jumpers for master (furthest from the motherboard) and slave manually on each device. Most HDDs have a jumper diagram right on top, so that you can set the jumpers accordingly. Optical drives have small imprinting near the jumpers that indicate the pins you need.

If you have further questions, just reply back and I'll try to help you iron it out :)

Richard3rd

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I agree, definitely check the jumper settings on your IDE devices. Try another IDE cable as well. And you can also check the connection of the power cables, make sure they are plugged in all the way.

In the BIOS under Storage Configuration both devices should show up.

First, I suggest you read your motherboard manual that will help more than anything.
Second, make sure the IDE connections are actually turned on in the BIOS.
Third, make sure the drives are configured correct for master/slave and plugged into the correct places on the cable (master on the end, optical in the center)