Graphic card advice

phishhook47

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,

I am building a budget system to support my intraday online equity trading. I currently have three monitors - two dell 24" LEDs and a Samsung 19" LCD. I am looking for a graphics card or cards that I can acquire for less than $120, which will support these three monitors. I do not game but occasionally will stream HD movies. I have already picked out my other components and this one is proving to be quite a problem child, so please offer any advice or suggestions!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
With 3 monitors, you definitely want an ATI/AMD card and can find one to meet your basic needs for less than $50. You can get by with an HD 5450 (about $60) but I recommend going with the HD 5570 (about $80) for a little more power.

Upgradevideocards.com has a page on their website devoted to non-gaming cards that can provide you a little more background if you want and also recommends specific cards.

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/nongaming.html

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
zotac gtx 460 1gb after rebate on newegg $115. heard a lot of good things on zotac although never owned any of their products. $115 for that card is a steal.

ZOTAC ZT-40408-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

phishhook47

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thank you for all the responses! I think I am going to go with 5750 or 5770. I don't really want to spend over $120ish. Could anyone suggest a specific card or brand, or doesn't it really matter? This is my first build from scratch and the video cards are throwing me off quite a bit, especially with the triple monitors. I doubt I will do any gaming at all, the most demanding thing will be streaming multiple charts (possibly as many as 18) in real time. Thanks again guys!

You are indeed correct, it doesn't matter.
Any vaguely current discrete video card is powerful enough to handle three monitors of 2D applications but only certain ATI/AMD cards have the hardware necessary to connect 3 and you need the adapter I linked to do so.
There are some specialty cards that can handle 3(or more) but they are overpriced. For example here is an HD4350 that can handle 4 monitors;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139055
The HD5670 is many times more powerful than that card however. Basically, when it isn't HD video, 2D is trivial for modern cards.

phishhook47

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I do stream HD videos from time to time, will this card prove to be a problem for that. I also occasionally do 3-d renderings in SketchUp. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that before