Sign in with
Your question

Jumping ship from AMD to Intel, help needed plz

Last response: in Motherboards
October 10, 2012 5:30:58 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times before, but i hope someone would be good enough
to help.

I'm jumping ship from AMD to INTEL in a month or so and already settled on a suitable CPU for
gaming (I5-3570K) but i am a little indecisive about what motherboard to get. My last/current
board is an ASUS M4A87TD-USB3 and have made a note of two other ASUS boards.

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
Asus Maximus V Gene

The thing is though, i don't plan to use Crossfire/SLI and these boards are really for SLI etc.
Can anyone suggest another top single GPU board with similar specs?

If push came to shove i could still get either one on these boards and use a single GPU in it
but would it be a little overkill paying for a feature i don't really need? i do plan to overclock
btw.

Also, i have an ASUS GTX 590 Direct CU II Top and wondering if this card is still going to give
decent performance for an I5-3570k and Z77 board, or is it really going to cause a little
bottleneck? what would be a suitable upgrade if not? I don't fancy an AMD card because
i use 3D Vision and don't think AMD card are compatible.

Huge thanks in advance..

October 10, 2012 5:56:09 PM

Oops, made a typo.. Meant to say i have a GTX 560 (NOT 590) :/ 
October 10, 2012 5:57:43 PM

I think Asus' Sabertooth/Maximus line is sort of a waste of money, but I think sticking with Asus as you transition is a good idea - you will be familiar with software, etc. Without going for crossfire, there is just very little need for such a high end board.

I think the blue P8Z77 line should have all of the features you want? (Edit: Pick between the price ranges for features)

With the GPU - There is no reason not to just wait and find out. You can swap it out later easily enough.
October 10, 2012 9:01:36 PM

Thanks for your reply deadlockedworld, and speedy too i must say. I scanned through all the P8Z77 range and check out the differences as best i could (and check reviews) and settled on the Asus P8Z77-M. Another reason i liked this board was the PCI slot for my X-fi soundcard. Have noticed many boards omit this slot and i can't suss out why really. I would much rather use a dedicated soundcard than on-board.

On-board is flat sounding really (unless you know of one that isn't) and doesn't really cater for those low frequencies ;) 

Again, my thanks to you and all the best!
!