You are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazerlevy22

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hello,

I no begger all about computers just the basics and what happened to me was that my hard drive had been damaged so i took it get fixed. The man at the shop put in a new hard drive and the problem was fixed i could use my comp again. However, when I fired up my pc I realised that my graphics card was not working, and a meesage came up on the screen saying, ' you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu' I tried to update the drivers and all it did was restart and then crash. So I had to go into safe mode and disable the graphics card in order for me to use my computer.

Would it be a hard ware problem?

frazerlevy22

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I didn't unplug it and there is only one slot for my monitor to fit in at the back of the pc which im guessing is the graphics card

Ok so the guy at the computer shop came to your house and unplugged the monitor from your computer for you?

I fail to see how you took the computer to the shop without unplugging the monitor.

If there is only one place on the back of the computer to plug in the monitor, then you DO NOT have a graphics card in your computer.

frazerlevy22

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Look sorry mate I don't know much about computers I'm not stupid and I have come on here for a bit of help not to be patronised. There are only two slots one of the vga slots and a dvi slot and thats it. then theres a long pink one.

Need a bit more info to go on before we can help -- What computer do you have and what type of video card ? --- From the sound of it you are trying to run with Nvidia drivers but do not have an Nvidia video card -- a few possibilities -- either you have an addin card that is Nvidia but are connecting to the onboard video slot so are not using the nvidia card -- or you had an Nvidia card and the computer shop guy removed it and has you now running on the onboard card which is not Nvidia -- or the guy that replaced your HDD did not install the proper video card drivers for the system when he setup the new HDD -- you say it was working again but did you test it in the shop or just take their word for it being fixed ?

Since you are not sure what to do and have already paid to have it repaired --- take it back and have them get it working correctly for you and show you how to set it up so that it works (after all you paid them to repair it and it is not working so what did you pay them for ??)

frazerlevy22

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
rite my comp is; intel(r) core(tm) 2 quad cpu @ 2.40 ghz 2gb ram 32bit operating system, nvidia geforce 8300 gs (256mb) I have opened the pc up and checked the card it says 8300 gs on it. the next thing is that unfortunately the guy had his shop closed 2 days later by the council and had also been charged by the police for something to do with fraud and deception, I did not pick the pc up from the shop it was someone else (girlfriend). In hinesight i should have taken it to pc world!

How am I patronizing you? You just told me that you didn't unplug the monitor from the back of the computer, yet somehow you were able to take it to a local shop. That is impossible unless you carried the monitor and the computer into the shop while they were still connected.

You have not given us enough information to help you any further. We don't know if you motherboard has onboard video or not. If you have a video card AND onboard video, then you have more than one place to plug in your monitor.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

frazerlevy22

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
yeah I have plugged my monitor directly into my card, the vga port which is the only place to plug my monitor into in the back of the computer its the only port available. Forget it mate, doesn't mater (GeekApproved) I ment to say that I didn't know about the different ports until I read up on the internet and I obviously did unplug my monitor in order for me to take my pc to the local shop otherwise as you are correctly stating it would be 'impossible' I only have the 2 ports on my graphics card within my pc to connect my monitor to.

Thank you guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.