Sign in with
Your question

Different RAM will it work?

Last response: in Memory
October 10, 2012 7:13:09 PM

I have 2 sticks of 4gig ddr 3 ripjaw ram and was just given 2 sticks of 8gig ram from a friend. I am wondering if these would work well together and if it would even be worth it to run them together?
My specs are:
GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
1 of the 4 gig sticks is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL
the other is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL
the 2 8 gig sticks are G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-16GBRL.

The other question I have is my friend was using the 2 8 gig sticks and it causes the computer to bluescreen when you have them both in the same channel and bios set to unganged. But if you have them in the same channel ganged or in different channels ganged or unganged it works fine also. Does any of this matter either?

I am really just wanting to know if there is any performance difference by using them or if it would even work. Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : ram work

October 10, 2012 7:33:34 PM

Best bet is to just run the set of 2 8gg of ram. This way you get dual channel and it will run at 1333.

If you put in that 4gb of 1066 then all the ram will run at 1066.

I use win7 64 ultimate and play alot of games as well as video editing. I have never seen the ram usage on my system go above 5.8 gb. That means all the rest of it is just sitting idle.

p.s. the 4 sticks would run together for a total of 24 gb of ram but they will run at the lower speed of that 1066 stick, and chances are dual channel will not be enabled.
October 10, 2012 7:35:57 PM

Thanks! one more question about it thought, It bluescreens 24/7 if it is set to unganged and in the same channel but if its ganged in the same channel it will work fine or if i duel channel it then it works fine no matter if its ganged or not.
Related resources
October 10, 2012 7:38:37 PM

About the blue screens. Differnet motherboards deal with ram differently. Just cause the ram does not work well on his board does not mean it is bad or defective. It might be fine. I would try the 2 8gb sticks. I would then test them using memory test built into windows 7. Let it run for an hour or 2. If it passes then there is a good chance the ram is fine. If memtest finds errors chances are the ram is defective.
a b } Memory
October 10, 2012 7:39:04 PM

Judging from your description you'll have a total of 24gb installed and if working. Do you have a need for this addtional ram , like video encoding or photo editing or some work related tasks that require large amounts of ram?
You have three different speeds of ram and you want to know if they will all work together? Here's the thing with ram and motherboards the ram that you install , if it's two different speeds then all the ram installed will work at the lowest speed ram.
So if you put all those ram sticks in and they all work , they will be working at 1066 mhz. You can try to overclock them but because of the different speeds I don't know what you'll get. So what do you need all this ram for , that may determine what you can do.
October 10, 2012 7:48:28 PM

I have no true reason for them just that he was going to throw the 2 8gig sticks away so i figured why not try them and see what will happen. The above description of the bluescreen is using it on my motherboard also. I just dont see why it works in ganged but doesnt in unganged. But to answer your question better I have no true reason to have the extra ram.
October 10, 2012 7:49:32 PM

The ganged vs unganged is an AMD term for a ram managment system for dual channel. Basically if it is ganged the computer can hit the ram at the top and bottom of every cycle. This should make the ram much faster. In reality it has very little impact in every day stuff like games and MS office.

I belive ganged also allows all cpu cores access to all ram. When it is unganged each stick, or partition of ram is sort of assigned to 1 cpu core.

To be honest the last AMD i had was a phenom a while ago and it was always set to ganged and it always worked.

If the ram caused BSOD on that 1 board my thought is there was some incompatibility between the ram and the board.
I would try it.

I once built a core2 duo on a g41 that although could use 1066 ram would blue screen when ever you used 1066. Even if you set it at 800. I put 800 in it and it was fine, i then put the 1066 in another computer and that was fine. That was like 4 years ago and both computers are still being used every day.
a b } Memory
October 10, 2012 7:58:35 PM

If you have no real reason to use the extra ram then you should take and put different combinations together to see what works and doesn't give you blue screens then stick with that amount. It's better to have stability then to try an use all the ram and have constant troulbe with blue screens.
If putting all the ram sticks in and it works but you have to set it to ganged then I would leave it that way and use the ram trouble free. You also could consider leaving out the 1066mhz ram and having all the ram running at 1333mhz.
October 10, 2012 7:59:03 PM

The thing that is really confusing me is that each of the 8gib sticks work fine if they r on their own. So if i put stick A in by itself it works fine, if it put stick B in by itself it works fine. But both together do not work.
My main thing is would be even remotely useful to have both the 8gig and 4gigs running at the same time if I could get the 8 gigs to work correctly.
a b } Memory
October 10, 2012 8:03:41 PM

Then we go back to what do you need the ram for and you said for no reason but to not have the ram thrown away. You will not use all of the ram no matter how you set it up unless you run programs that make use of all this ram so your trying to get all this ram to be in your motherboard to just sit there and do nothing except cause you problems. I know you don't want to throw it away but your not making use of it so it's the same thing it's just sitting in your computer causing you problems.
October 10, 2012 8:05:30 PM

Anything over 8 gigs will not help you in day to day.

Is this right stuff? The model number listed is for a 2x4gb 8gb kit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would do some experiments running unganged. Maybe use a bench mark program like 3dmark 11. Compare this to your old ram and use what ever is fastest.

I would not use all 4 sticks at once, or ram that is unstable and causes crashes. Nothing is worse than watching a video transcode for 20 minutes to have the compter crash at 95%. Or to be about to win the match and get the game winning kill just to have the computer crap out before you get your match bonus.
October 10, 2012 8:07:25 PM

yes thats the correct model number. Ill have to try that.
a b } Memory
October 11, 2012 9:07:44 AM

bucknutty said:
p.s. the 4 sticks would run together for a total of 24 gb of ram but they will run at the lower speed of that 1066 stick, and chances are dual channel will not be enabled.

Are you sure about that? I mean, I know you're right about the speed, but doesn't it work the same way VRAM in SLI does?

I'm pretty certain the 8 gig sticks would be capped at 4 gigs, giving the OP 16 gigs of ram. It doesn't matter much, he's better off going with only the 8 gigs even if it were 24... I'm just curious now.
October 11, 2012 1:05:04 PM

I'm sure if you use 2x8 gig sticks and 2x4gig sticks you will have 24 gigs usable in windows.
!