Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can a weak PSU cause a video card not to show?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 25, 2011 9:49:03 PM

I have just bough a few different parts for my PC including:
FX 4 core 3.3
Geforce gtx 560
8GB of ddr3 1600
But im using and old (really old) PSU that only uses 250watts. I was wondering if this could be the reason that when i start my PC it shows no video at all.
December 25, 2011 10:03:06 PM

iamrobster said:
I have just bough a few different parts for my PC including:
FX 4 core 3.3
Geforce gtx 560
8GB of ddr3 1600
But im using and old (really old) PSU that only uses 250watts. I was wondering if this could be the reason that when i start my PC it shows no video at all.


yes it can , if there is not enough power to the card the video adapters will not work correctly.

How are you using a 250w psu anyway? I just got this card and it requires 2 pcie (6pin) psu plugs. I have never heard of a 250w with even 1x6pin?

I'm having this same problem though, but my psu is 480w and the requirements for the gtx 560 is 450w.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 3:39:09 AM

You need a new PSU. Hell 250w went out of style in the 90's. Or you have a old shuttle case. Or some other super small case. Highly doubt this PSU has newer plugs, that you need.

Id recommend atleast a 550w. Long as your planning on never using, more than 1 video card.

Then just cause your PSU says 480w. Does not mean it does 480w. This is where brand name comes into play.
Im a fan of antec psu's.

You can always disconnect optical drives. See if your 480w will work then.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 110 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 7:30:17 AM

To run the gtx 560 you need 30 amps on 12 volt rails to power it.
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 12:08:09 PM

iamrobster said:
I have just bough a few different parts for my PC including:
FX 4 core 3.3
Geforce gtx 560
8GB of ddr3 1600
But im using and old (really old) PSU that only uses 250watts. I was wondering if this could be the reason that when i start my PC it shows no video at all.

A 500w unit with 2xPCIE 6/6+2 pins is the minimum recommended psu for your card.
The other posters have filled in all the blanks such as Amperage = amuffin's post.
That means you buy a quality unit and not a $30 one.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 12:46:59 PM

keha12 said:
You need a new PSU. Hell 250w went out of style in the 90's. Or you have a old shuttle case. Or some other super small case. Highly doubt this PSU has newer plugs, that you need.

Id recommend atleast a 550w. Long as your planning on never using, more than 1 video card.

Then just cause your PSU says 480w. Does not mean it does 480w. This is where brand name comes into play.
Im a fan of antec psu's.

You can always disconnect optical drives. See if your 480w will work then.



i tried this and i still cannot run the card. Im upgrading my psu to a 500w but im on a very limited budget , do you think this one will suffice?
http://www.ebuyer.com/124922-arctic-power-500w-psu-p2-a...
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 12:51:08 PM

Yes, probably. There's no substitute for Amps but buy a quality unit. It'll last you years.
But a few extra watts will help when upgrading or adding components. Dont scrimp on it as a cheap one may take other components with it if it goes down.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 1:13:11 PM

davcon said:
No it's cheap junk and doesn't supply the necessary PCIE 6pins = you need two!
Much better cheap unit
XFX Core Edition PRO 450W
http://www.cclonline.com/product/55411/P1-450S-XXB9/Pow...

thats way out of my price range, and it has 1 6pin and i have a adapter for the other 6pin.
matter of fact i would get a even cheaper one because im so broke but i am in the uk and going back to the us in a month and have to have a psu with APFC

Plus that is a 450w and i need a 500w (my card's box says req is 450w but im guessing that i need over that to be safe)
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 1:40:22 PM

anc00 said:
thats way out of my price range, and it has 1 6pin and i have a adapter for the other 6pin.
matter of fact i would get a even cheaper one because im so broke but i am in the uk and going back to the us in a month and have to have a psu with APFC

Plus that is a 450w and i need a 500w (my card's box says req is 450w but im guessing that i need over that to be safe)

XFX
450W of continuous power at 50°C
Tight voltage regulation (±5%)
High efficiency operation up to 85% (80 Plus Bronze)
Single, high power +12V rail (up to 53A/636W)
High quality Japanese brand capacitor (105°C)
Quiet 135mm ball bearing fan provides superior cooling
Supports multiple high-end graphic adaptors (AMD CrossFire Ready)
Supports the latest ATX12V and EPS12V standards
Active PFC with Universal AC input
Energy Star 40 and RoHS compliant
5-Year Limited Warranty

Your HEC built Arctic Power is junk=really old outdated,inefficient design.read the reviews on e-buyer from 2007 lol!
ARCTIC POWER 500 = what maybe a 1 or 2yr warranty with 18A on the 12v rail and the 500W is total maximum output = not continuous.
It will simply not power your gpu = needs 30A.


m
0
l
December 26, 2011 1:47:11 PM

davcon said:
XFX
450W of continuous power at 50°C
Tight voltage regulation (±5%)
High efficiency operation up to 85% (80 Plus Bronze)
Single, high power +12V rail (up to 53A/636W)
High quality Japanese brand capacitor (105°C)
Quiet 135mm ball bearing fan provides superior cooling
Supports multiple high-end graphic adaptors (AMD CrossFire Ready)
Supports the latest ATX12V and EPS12V standards
Active PFC with Universal AC input
Energy Star 40 and RoHS compliant
5-Year Limited Warranty

Your HEC built Arctic Power is junk=really old outdated,inefficient design.read the reviews on e-buyer from 2007 lol!
ARCTIC POWER 500 = what maybe a 1 or 2yr warranty with 18A on the 12v rail and the 500W is total maximum output = not continuous.
It will simply not power your gpu = needs 30A.



ok. but the one you sent me WILL power my gpu?
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 1:53:15 PM

anc00 said:
ok. but the one you sent me WILL power my gpu?

Absolutely it has all the requirements including 2X PCIE 6pins for your gpu.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 1:55:19 PM

davcon said:
Absolutely it has all the requirements including 2X PCIE 6pins for your gpu.

/sigh but 35 pounds is all i have. plus im going to need shipping.
uk makes it a bitch to visit out here, i cant work legally so no income :<
http://www.hardwareking.net/product_info.php?info=p7393...
is this one just as good? its cheaper
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 2:06:21 PM

anc00 said:
/sigh but 35 pounds is all i have. plus im going to need shipping.
uk makes it a bitch to visit out here, i cant work legally so no income :<

That link included shipping in the price.
Absolute bare minimum unit you could use.you'll have to use one PCIE 6pin adapter.
Coolermaster GX RS450-£29.99 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-psu-coolermaster-rs...
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 2:18:43 PM

davcon said:
That link included shipping in the price.
Absolute bare minimum unit you could use.you'll have to use one PCIE 6pin adapter.
Coolermaster GX RS450-£29.99 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-psu-coolermaster-rs...

yeah scratch that, the hardwareking site is a scam.
what exactly am i losing from xfx vs coolermaster? just that 6pin? cuz i already have a adapter.
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 2:30:25 PM

anc00 said:
yeah scratch that, the hardwareking site is a scam.
what exactly am i losing from xfx vs coolermaster? just that 6pin? cuz i already have a adapter.

Correct the CM GX has just the one 6pin,the XFX has two.
Both are 34A Bronze rated units with a 5yr warranty.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 2:37:06 PM

davcon said:
Correct the CM GX has just the one 6pin,the XFX has two.
Both are 34A Bronze rated units with a 5yr warranty.

the xfx seems like it would give more bang for the buck though? or am i just getting sucked into product advertising (easyrail)

i figured out i can afford either of them but i already have a adapter, so do you think its really worth it?
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 3:52:46 PM

anc00 said:
the xfx seems like it would give more bang for the buck though? or am i just getting sucked into product advertising (easyrail)

i figured out i can afford either of them but i already have a adapter, so do you think its really worth it?

They're both single rail units and use quality 105C caps.
I'd lean toward the XFX personally.
Just because i'd prefer not using an adapter.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 9:29:44 PM

davcon said:
They're both single rail units and use quality 105C caps.
I'd lean toward the XFX personally.
Just because i'd prefer not using an adapter.

yeah, thanks much for all your help! if there was a upvote/karma system on this ... haha.

Im going for the xfx decidedly because coolermaster doesnt have enough molex for me to use a adapter AND plug in everything i need to.
m
0
l
!