Cheap power supply win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainy1991

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I have come to the conclusion that SOME cheap power supplies are for the win!, unlike most people would lead you to believe.

I have a 620 watt psu(sato or something it came with my first case) that I have owned for over 5 years, has powered 6 different systems and has even been dropped... still works perfectly to this day.

where as my brother has been through a mushkin, an xfx and two antecs all in same time frame...
some may find this funny......... but I think its hilarious!

Has anyone else had massive success stories with their cheap psu's?
if so share them here!
I would love to get an idea of some decent-ish cheap psu brands.

Solution
There's this brand - not sure if it's available outside India, though - called Huntkey. Their PSUs are major WIN. Super silent, great power, looks good (great metal case), awesome price - $50 for 550W. I bought like 20 of them in the last few months, all going great. They have 3-year warranty, which is a major plus - no other cheap PSU manufacturer has this kind of warranty in South India.

Quite an ironic situation you have, yes, but it's a lucky case. I've seen so many generic PSUs go bad within a short time... messed up fan is absolutely normal - the fan alone is as loud as my whole tower with its 6 case fans plus the PSU fan plus the GPU and CPU fans (11 total). Then there's this buzz that develops after a few months... and NONE of...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
There's this brand - not sure if it's available outside India, though - called Huntkey. Their PSUs are major WIN. Super silent, great power, looks good (great metal case), awesome price - $50 for 550W. I bought like 20 of them in the last few months, all going great. They have 3-year warranty, which is a major plus - no other cheap PSU manufacturer has this kind of warranty in South India.

Quite an ironic situation you have, yes, but it's a lucky case. I've seen so many generic PSUs go bad within a short time... messed up fan is absolutely normal - the fan alone is as loud as my whole tower with its 6 case fans plus the PSU fan plus the GPU and CPU fans (11 total). Then there's this buzz that develops after a few months... and NONE of these crappy PSUs can support good graphics cards no matter what, they simply don't have enough connectors. They're not modular and the wires are always a cheap-looking mess. They're okay for low-budget builds (just make sure you don't get total crap) but anything with a dedicated GPU has to stay away from them.

Solution

keha12

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I ran a 400watt came with my case PSU for over 5 years.

But if i were to buy one. Id rather have piece of mind, than gamble. Its not that the psu will die. Its that when it dies, it might fry your entire computer. Where-as a good one, the PSU will just die.

Then overclockers. Want consistent voltage. Which you gamble with on a "came with the case" PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.