Registry Keys to set Explorer settings

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'm trying to setup a registry file that i can put a whole lot of tweaks in
and run it to set a whole lot settings automatically and also apply those
settings to any future user accounts that are created.

I created them all in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT hive, but they aren't applying
the the user that's logged in.

Another thing is when i apply them to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive most of
them apply. The only things i can't get to happen are displaying the Status
Bar in Windows Explorer (IE and Notepad work), and i also want to set the
view to Details in windows explorer for everyone but it's not happening.

Any idea's what i'm doing wrong? I thought for the folder views i had to
import the Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU and the
Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags key from a computer that has the
views i want (deleted all the stuff in those keys then reset the folder
views to the way i want then exported those keys). Doesn't work though.

For the Status Bar i have this "Show_StatusBar"="yes" and
"Show_ToolBar"="yes" set under the \Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main but that's Internet Explorer... are these settings available
for just Explorer or should this filter across to windows explorer? It
doesn't...

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Thanks
Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

..default is the settings for when noone is logged in. You have to load the user's hive to make changes to another user (in this case Default User who is NOT .default). Doc & Settings\Default User\NTUSER.dat (see load hive in Regedit's help).

Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and network/removable drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was in earlier versions)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
setting=
is the global default
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults
LongNumber=
Is the default for that object type.

{F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My Docs is an ordinary folder)

The global and type defaults only exist if you do an apply to all. If you do an apply to all in My Comp then a default for My Comp objects (and the global default) is written.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com> wrote in message news:s_vLc.10266$K53.1433@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I'm trying to setup a registry file that i can put a whole lot of tweaks in
> and run it to set a whole lot settings automatically and also apply those
> settings to any future user accounts that are created.
>
> I created them all in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT hive, but they aren't applying
> the the user that's logged in.
>
> Another thing is when i apply them to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive most of
> them apply. The only things i can't get to happen are displaying the Status
> Bar in Windows Explorer (IE and Notepad work), and i also want to set the
> view to Details in windows explorer for everyone but it's not happening.
>
> Any idea's what i'm doing wrong? I thought for the folder views i had to
> import the Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU and the
> Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags key from a computer that has the
> views i want (deleted all the stuff in those keys then reset the folder
> views to the way i want then exported those keys). Doesn't work though.
>
> For the Status Bar i have this "Show_StatusBar"="yes" and
> "Show_ToolBar"="yes" set under the \Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Main but that's Internet Explorer... are these settings available
> for just Explorer or should this filter across to windows explorer? It
> doesn't...
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

ok cool... but in the case of setting it to the default user's hive, how do
you do that automatically? is there such a thing as a %DefaultUserProfile%
that will allow me to reference the Default User Profile in a batch file
like you can with %AllUsersProfile% so i can use the REG command like this?

REG LOAD %DefaultUserProfile%\NTUser.dat
REG ADD whatever key
REG ADD another key

Or can i have it load the NTUser.dat file and then import a registry file
that i have already to merge like this?
REG LOAD %DefaultUserProfile%\NTUser.dat
REG IMPORT %systemdrive%\regtweaks.reg

--
Thanks again
Andrew

David Candy wrote:
> .default is the settings for when noone is logged in. You have to
> load the user's hive to make changes to another user (in this case
> Default User who is NOT .default). Doc & Settings\Default
> User\NTUSER.dat (see load hive in Regedit's help).
>
> Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and
> network/removable drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was
> in earlier versions)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
> setting=
> is the global default

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
\Defaults
> LongNumber=
> Is the default for that object type.
>
> {F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other
> numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My
> Docs is an ordinary folder)
>
> The global and type defaults only exist if you do an apply to all. If
> you do an apply to all in My Comp then a default for My Comp objects
> (and the global default) is written.
>
> "GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to setup a registry file that i can put a whole lot of
>> tweaks in and run it to set a whole lot settings automatically and
>> also apply those settings to any future user accounts that are
>> created.
>>
>> I created them all in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT hive, but they aren't
>> applying the the user that's logged in.
>>
>> Another thing is when i apply them to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive
>> most of them apply. The only things i can't get to happen are
>> displaying the Status Bar in Windows Explorer (IE and Notepad work),
>> and i also want to set the view to Details in windows explorer for
>> everyone but it's not happening.
>>
>> Any idea's what i'm doing wrong? I thought for the folder views i
>> had to import the Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU and
>> the Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags key from a computer
>> that has the views i want (deleted all the stuff in those keys then
>> reset the folder views to the way i want then exported those keys).
>> Doesn't work though.
>>
>> For the Status Bar i have this "Show_StatusBar"="yes" and
>> "Show_ToolBar"="yes" set under the \Software\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\Main but that's Internet Explorer... are these settings
>> available for just Explorer or should this filter across to windows
>> explorer? It doesn't...
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks
>> Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

There is no variable available from the command line for D&S or D&S\Default User.

"GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com> wrote in message news:hIELc.10710$K53.656@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> [...]
> >> had to import the Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU and
> >> the Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags key from a computer
> >> that has the views i want (deleted all the stuff in those keys then
> >> reset the folder views to the way i want then exported those keys).
> >> Doesn't work though.
> >>
> >> For the Status Bar i have this "Show_StatusBar"="yes" and
> >> "Show_ToolBar"="yes" set under the \Software\Microsoft\Internet
> >> Explorer\Main but that's Internet Explorer... are these settings
> >> available for just Explorer or should this filter across to windows
> >> explorer? It doesn't...
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks
> >> Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

that's ok... i'll just use "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\default
user"

so all the reg tweaks which are for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER i should put in
the file to be imported into the default user's ntuser.dat, and all the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE can stay the same?

this is what i have, a file called hkutwks.reg which currently hold all the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys. I'll go through that and replace that with
HKEY_USERS\NTUSER. I have another file called hklmtwks.reg which has all the
current HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE keys in it which i will leave as they are.

I've got a batch file which has this in it.
reg load hku\ntuser "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\default
user\ntuser.dat"
reg import %systemdrive%\install\hkutwks.reg
reg unload hku\ntuser
REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\hklmtwks.reg

This will load the default user's ntuser.dat, import the HKEY_USERS tweaks
into it, unload the default user's ntuser.dat and then load the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tweaks into the normal registry.

Thanks for your help... now to test it all properly!

--
Thanks
Andrew

David Candy wrote:
> [...]

the file to be imported into the default user's ntuser.dat, and all the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE can stay the same?

this is what i have, a file called hkutwks.reg which currently hold all the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys. I'll go through that and replace that with
HKEY_USERS\NTUSER. I have another file called hklmtwks.reg which has all the
current HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE keys in it which i will leave as they are.

I've got a batch file which has this in it.
reg load hku\ntuser "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\default
user\ntuser.dat"
reg import %systemdrive%\install\hkutwks.reg
reg unload hku\ntuser
REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\hklmtwks.reg

This will load the default user's ntuser.dat, import the HKEY_USERS tweaks
into it, unload the default user's ntuser.dat and then load the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tweaks into the normal registry.

I tried having the HKLM and the HKU tweaks all in the one file and doing the
reg import command but it doesn't like importing in the HKLM keys, that's
why i had to have a separate file for them and use the regedit /s command to
import