Closed Solved

ATI 6870 CrossFireX Low Framerates

Hey there Forum,

Yeah, I know this is not my first thread about my 6870 Crossfire and it probably won't be the last. Here is the problem:
With the new and now working Crossfire setup, I get good frames for some games but poor frames for others.

DiRT 3 (4 x AA, High settings @ 1920x1080)
Min - 30
Max - 80
Avg - 60

Modern Warfare 2 (4 x AA, Extra-High settings @ 1920x1080)
Min - 19
Max - 192
Avg - 49

Medal of Honor (4 x AA, High settings @ 1920x1080)
Min - 30
Max - 60
Avg - 40

Grand Theft Auto IV (4 x AA, High settings @ 1920x1080)
Min - 20
Max - 70
Avg - 40

Test system:
i5 2500 @ 3.7GHz
GA-H67A-UD3H
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
2 x ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB
*All readings were done with MSi Afterburner and RivaTuner

I have a feeling that I should be getting (much) better framerates than those I am seeing in my games, especially my average frames. For example, I am averaging 50fps in Modern Warfare 2 when I should be averaging more than 120fps on the same 'Ultra' settings.

Thanks,
-Klosteral
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6870 crossfirex framerates
  1. Best answer
    In prefix to what im about to say, you need to realise crossfire does not work well with all games and in some cases there is nothing you can do but wait for a patch or new driver release or just put up with it.

First, you need to do some investigating. Easiest thing to do is turn off AA and see if things change. Try to identify if there is a particular graphics setting that is causing more of a performance hit. Try the same games with just running in single card mode to see if the FPS changes. There are many people reporting they see an increase in average fps with crossfire, but the same or worse low-fps with crossfire. Play around with v-sync and try and find a program that can force tripplebuffering, that often helps. Let me know if you do find a good program that forces tripple-buffering as I want to use it!. It did wonders with my old nvidia card, unfortunately ATI only has this option for openGL games. - oh and i just noticed the motherboard has a 16x/4x pci slot setup. This is no good for crossfire. an 8x/8x or 16x/16x will give much better results. Its hard to find the information but this 16x/4x setup causes problems, you need to dig through many forums and stuff to find the answers.
  2. I see. Also, thank you for the quick response!

I do know that CrossFireX does not work with all games; a CrossFireX support update must be released and it must be game-specific. That said, one would suspect that with two cards even if there was no such update then the game should default to single-card mode, correct?

Also, I am looking at other people's reviews and tests on the net and - if we may look at the Modern Warfare 2 game - I am getting an average FPS reading of less than half what I am meant to. I have not yet attempted to play Battlefield Bad Company 2, though, and many people (friends included) have reported great performance increases while running dual-cards.

So far the only program I have that can force tripple-buffering is the ATI Catalyst Control Centre and I do not know how reliable it is. Also, having played around with V-Sync and dual cards, I get less than 35fps with it on and between 35 and 50 with it off (still MW2 game).

Could it be that I am testing the wrong game(s) or is there a lack of firmware that I should install?

Thanks,
    -Klosteral
  3. Best answer selected by Klosteral.
  4. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Crossfire Graphics