Heatsink RPM & Motherboard!

tunkeytrunks

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Ok, so I upgraded my Motherboard to one that supports 1155, and I'm using an Intel Stock HSF, my motherboard is a Gigabyte h61m-s2pv, I turn on my PC, everything works fine, but my HSF is spinning at max all the time!

I've not had a problem like this before and can't find a solution anywhere!

mad1316

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
1) Make sure you check and make sure all 4 feet are seated properly. Try pulling up on each one a little, there should be little to no give.

2) Check the fan speed settings in the bios, if there is an intelligent fan speed option, use it.

3) Double check and make sure the fan cable for the HSF is properly aligned in the plug. If it is offset by a pin, it could cause some weird stuff to happen.

4) Consider a replacement HSF. After years of functional-but-unimpressive HSFs, Intel has scaled them back enough that I don't recommend sticking with stock for much. If you (at any point) intend to fully utilize your CPU, it's well worth your time to swap coolers.

tunkeytrunks

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012

Well I do still have my Akasa Heatsink from my L775, but I'm not sure if it'll fit, would it? I've got some AS5 thermal paste, so I'll use that if it can fit.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on there, when I ran the POST after installing the Motherboard, my side panel wasn't even on, and it still isn't!

mad1316

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
It is a very warm temperature for idle with a full speed fan. Be extra sure to check those 4 feet, most likely 1 isn't fully seated.

Which Akasa HSF do you have? I can check and see if it can fit. The good news is that alot of Akasa HSFs do fit 775, 1156, and 1155. Just based on model.

tunkeytrunks

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Ah, damn, I was hoping for a method that didn't involve spending or taking out the Motherboard again! :lol: But I guess I could go £18 for it.

mad1316

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, having to spend and take out the motherboard isn't the ideal, but sometimes it's still the right solution. :)
Cheers!