H8smi-2 cpu compatibilty help

Hello forum!

I have one question. Will this processor AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBGMBOX work with the H8SMI-2 motherboard? I currently have a Opteron 1354 2.2 GHz installed.

My current specs:

Opteron 1354 Quad Core 2.2GHz
5 gigabytes memory
Nvidia GeForce GT 220 1gb ddr2
Rocketfish 5.1 Digital sound card
450 Watt power supply
H8smi-2 Motherboard
10 answers Last reply
More about h8smi compatibilty help
  1. no thats and am2 board you have .975 is am3 socket.
  2. If i've done my research right, i believe it has am3 support. Any suggestions for an accurate upgrade?
  3. it deffo wont take 975 chip. you nmeed to get a am2+ booard so you can use your ram cause its ddr2.am2+board will support all am3 chips aswell as am2.
  4. boabs said:
    it deffo wont take 975 chip. you nmeed to get a am2+ booard so you can use your ram cause its ddr2.am2+board will support all am3 chips aswell as am2.


    I'm sorry i don't understand. I have 5gbs of DDR2, and it work fine. Clarification please :)
  5. ddr2 memory willnot work in an am3 board . and a phenom2 975 is a am3 chip. ur board you got now is only am2. so 975 wont work with it.
  6. boabs said:
    ddr2 memory willnot work in an am3 board . and a phenom2 975 is a am3 chip. ur board you got now is only am2. so 975 wont work with it.


    Ah thank you for your help. So at this point I should just upgrade my mobo/cpu, and get more current.
  7. this is as cheap as ur going to get for your money and will work with the parts u have now and all am3 chips. and ddr3 memory.
  8. feralshuriken said:
    Hello forum!

    I have one question. Will this processor AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBGMBOX work with the H8SMI-2 motherboard? I currently have a Opteron 1354 2.2 GHz installed.

    My current specs:

    Opteron 1354 Quad Core 2.2GHz
    5 gigabytes memory
    Nvidia GeForce GT 220 1gb ddr2
    Rocketfish 5.1 Digital sound card
    450 Watt power supply
    H8smi-2 Motherboard


    Well i just double checked to be sure and i can not fine anything about this motherboard able to use am3 cpu's. Manage to get the right MB that's not able to do that.

    So yes, as boabs is saying, you'll need an AM2+ motherboard to run both the 975 and ddr2 ram.


    Although i will make a clarification so everyone is clear about this. There are AM2 motherboards out there that are still able to take AM3 cpu's.

    Example would be this mb http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2755#ov and this
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2500#

    Both are AM2 motherboard (not AM2+) and the second motherboard i listed i can at least pin point enough that it was launched before the AM2+ socket.
  9. The H8SMI- 2

    Collected information - There are 2 revisions of the board,

    PCB REV 1.xx Is (AM2)
    PCB REV 2.xx Is (AM2+)

    For a processor to be compatible with this board it must process MCP processes "NORTHBRIDGE". (Notice there is no north bridge onboard it is in/on the Opteron CPU. FYI No the board will not take any other cpu that does not feature MCP ).

    The only differance in the AM2 and AM2+ design is a dual power managment for the CPU and Hyper Transport 3 ---
    I do not know If, Super Micro actually included The Hyper Transport 3 in the revision 2.xx making it IT may be a HYBRID AM2+...

    I have the

    K10 Budapest 1354 2.2GHZ
    4 GB 1x4 GB 667 Dual 128-bit GANGED
    440 GT Galaxy
    3- SATA Raid 0

    Untill Xbx and PS release new generations leave the upgrades alone bc except for poor programing or ports I can play all games MED/HIGH.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core Processors