Powersupply or motherboard faulty? Help!

sWhatTheWTFs1

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
So about a week ago I built my first pc. Everything was fine until today when the computer refused to power on. I disconnected the psu and plugged it into a different wall jack but still nothing. I then took the psu out of the computer and did the 'paperclip' test but still nothing. So far it seems that my psu is the problem but I'm not sure if it's blown my other components or if the motherboard is faulty instead.

Specs are as follows:
Grainward GHL Edition GTX 570

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Motherboard

8GB (2x4GB) Ripjaws 1600 Ram Kit

CoolerMaster RC-922M-KWNI HAF Black w Side Panel

Corsair HX-650 $135.50

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

i5 2500k

1TB Seagate HDD

By the way there is absolutely NO response from the motherboard when starting. No lights or anything.

sWhatTheWTFs1

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
I'm just wondering if it would have short-circuited any other components? The psu died overnight when the computer was off so I'm hoping that everything else is fine but I've got no knowledge of faulty components as it was my first build.

keha12

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Well sometimes trying to see a spark. Wont be evident depending on the lighting. Which id do with a shielded screwdriver. I take it since you said paper clip, that you wanted to shock yourself. Which then yea, lighting has no effect lol.

But id say if the fan doesnt spin in the psu. Id kick start the fan with a pencil. Then if it didnt spin. Id definitely say it was the PSU being dead.
Spark on the motherboard is different, Then you can see if its giving power to MB.

Id also make sure that if the PSU has a "flip switch" to turn that on. Then check the voltage/wattage slider. To be in correct position for your area.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

keha12

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
tech suppot 101 man. is it plugged in? lol
Didnt remember which it was watts or voltage. I just know that if its on the wrong setting, for where you live. It will fry it eventually.

Fried a american NES. When i plugged it in, when I was in Thailand. The ac adapter made a loud pop after a few days of using it.