Sign in with
Your question

Strange problems with 2500k and msi z68 mobo

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2011 1:35:34 AM

So for a christmas gift, I received a msi z68a-gd65 (g3) and an i5 2500k.

here is the mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813130611

So, I've been having problems with one of these 2 items from the start. I believe it is the motherboard that is the issue.
I installed the motherboard, I've done this very many times, and all the other components. When I turn it on, it does the single beep, with ami bios signifying that it was past POST, however, I did not get any video (tried using onboard and hd 5870). Could hear the hard drives and windows definitely was booting up. So i went on removing every individual piece of hardware and then attempting to start it with no avail. I had to have reseated the cpu 10 times, but finally I was able to boot up with video with the onboard video. So I finally believe i solved my problems. I had to go to a family christmas party for the majority of the day. I left the computer running the entire time. I checked the temperatures and they were in the low 30s idling when i left. When i get back, I continue installing all the drivers, two in particular; the click bios and the intel ME driver. After installing these I boot up the click bios, which is a bios that runs in windows, I'm shocked to see that the temperatures are idling at 80 degrees celsius. I touched the heat-sink, which seemed to be firmly rooted and it was merely warm. So I check speed fan and realtemp, both say ridiculously high temperatures. So I restart a few times, and the temperature will not change. So, I go ahead and reseat the heatsink. I turn the computer on, only for it to shut off after about 5 seconds and the automatically turn back on 5 seconds later. This continues on and on, with multiple heat sinks being tried nothing seems to work.

This was by no means a cheap motherboard and has many features I would like to have, UEFI bios being one of them. Any help will be appreciated and feel free to tell me to just return the motherboard if you think that would be the best option. In the mean time, I will be hovering over my case like an idiot cutting my hands on heat sinks and watching it turn off and on over and over

Thanks,
Brendan
December 26, 2011 2:13:26 AM

Im not a fan of MSI one bit. Scarred for life, will never buy one their products again.

Given that you tried re-setting the heatsinks/fan. Its a hard one to put a finger on.

Maybe your thermal paste is junk? Maybe the heatsink is warped. But you said you tried multiple ones.

Weird but maybe, the bios settings have increased voltage to cpu. Maybe check and see, or do factory default in bios.

Im about out of suggestions.
But i will say that, if you cant definitely figure out the culprit. Id return both for exchange, just to be safe. If that is an option.
m
l
December 26, 2011 2:30:15 AM

yeah, so I got it to boot again. By hitting my heatsink with the back end of a screwdriver a few times. But now my processor is stuck at 4.19ghz and 1.336v, which is a bit too high on stock air... To top it all off, every times i change it to bios, whether I change it to default specs or to whatever I'd like it to be it simply changes itself back to these ridiculously hot settings.. this is driving me insane
m
l
December 26, 2011 3:58:27 AM

that makes me lean on the motherboard. Join the "i hate msi" bandwagon :]

But still could be the CPU. But regardless of what the MB detects. It should retain your physical settings.
Reset your BIOS. Physically thru the jumper, or remove the battery.
I take it, you probably already tried that though, by now.

You can also check out the MSI website. See if they have a newer bios out. That maybe might fix it. But its worth a shot.
Might just be the bios is corrupt. Flashing to new just might make it work properly.

Which would explain bad temps, yet cool heatsink. Also settings that auto change.
m
l
!