October 11, 2012 4:35:44 AM

OK, I have:
ASUS P8H61-M
Intel i5
8GB DDR3
Radeon HD 5770 PCIe
Win7 64bit

The Problem: can't get display showing through my graphics card

Story: This computer was working perfectly last week. I wanted a dual monitor setup and got an older monitor out of the closet and hooked up the VGA to the onboard graphics. Restarted the computer and the primary display was switched to the onboard graphics with horrible low-res and now I can't get it to switch back.

Attempts, I have:
reseated the graphics card
checked all connections, power and video
checked/changed bios settings to what should allow PCIe to work
uninstalled/reinstalled graphics drivers
disabled/uninstalled integrated graphics via device manager
attempted powering up with only the HDMI cable in the graphics card (for auto detecting graphics, I get windows boot sounds and no display until I hook the VGA back up)
Reset mobo to factory default settings/optimized settings

I just want it back the way it was, I don't need a dual monitor setup that bad. The only thing I haven't done yet is remove the cmos battery in attempt to completely reset the mobo. I have a freggin A+ cert and this is ridiculous. There doesn't seem to be any way to completely disable the onboard graphics with this mobo, only to prioritize one over the other, which is making no difference. There aren't even any unknown devices in device manager. :heink: 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 5:27:40 PM

While unlikely, do you have another video card to test with to see if the current one has died?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 7:23:11 PM

I would say to start from scratch and remove the cmos battery and the video card , then unplug the power supply and hold the start button for about 20 sec. Then put it all back except the video card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics and see if you get a display. If you do then remove the monitor cable and put in the video card with the power off and connect and start up and see if you get a display.

Related resources
October 12, 2012 3:27:08 AM

Scott - I do not have another card but I have enough parts to assemble another computer, will try the graphics card on another motherboard.

inzone - So, when I remove the cmos batt and unplug the power supply...there will be zero power to the motherboard. What does holding the start button for 20 seconds supposed to do? Discharging any capacitors maybe? Curious. I'll give it a try though.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 12, 2012 4:01:06 PM

Tha's correct about discharging the capacitors , you want to make sure that the bios isn't holding on to any settings or wanting to see certian hardware installed so this is the best way to clear everything so that when you insert the video card the bios isn't looking for the onboard only.
October 15, 2012 1:44:41 AM

OK, i have done exactly as inzone recommended. No success.

Also, over the weekend I took my graphics card to a friends house to test it and it worked without any problems.

I've taken everything out of the motherboard and put it all back together one piece at a time. Still nothing. The fan on the card is spinning so it has power, after pulling the cmos battery I've checked all the settings in the bios. Windows doesn't even know the card is there, nothing in device manager, and when I attempt to install the drivers from ATI it finishes but "with errors" I click on view error log and the log doesn't show any errors. =\

*UPDATE*

My bios was way out of date, I just went through and performed every bios update in sequential order offered from the asus website for my model motherboard. It has given me some different options in the bios for graphics settings, including being able to pick directly which card to use as primary display instead of the previous one that was supposed to auto detect. STILL no success though, atleast we can rule out the bios being out of date.
October 16, 2012 12:54:53 PM

Still no fix. Any ideas/suggestions from the community?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 6:19:19 PM

Ibetchuwontdoit said:
Still no fix. Any ideas/suggestions from the community?

I'd say at this point you've put in a (very) good faith effort to try and troubleshoot the issue and so if you wanted to RMA that board and try a new one, go ahead and call it in.
October 17, 2012 3:42:36 AM

How would I do that and how long does that leave me without a motherboard?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 5:35:34 PM

Ibetchuwontdoit said:
How would I do that and how long does that leave me without a motherboard?

http://www.service.asus.com/infopage.aspx?rid=7#!consumer/csn9

That page should give you the bulk of the info you need. Basically use one of the links to create a case, which just saves everyone some time by having you fill out some of the info like your name, address, etc. Much faster for you to do it than to have someone take it down over the phone, though it's not like they'll hang up on you if you don't make a case first.

Then the phone numbers are there for the US and Canada, every other contact number is under the International Support link at the bottom and all times listed are local times.

Afraid I'm not really able to say how long the whole process will take, as there are too many factors outside of my control that can affect things. However, there are some useful suggestions at the bottom of the motherboard warranty page that you may wish to take a quick look at:

http://www.service.asus.com/infopage.aspx?rid=7#!Motherboard%20Warranty/c1c20
!