I5-2400K build running ok, but not great

boba_fett31

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I've read over the trouble shooting entries in this forum and haven't found a fix. I've also verified that the memory is properly slotted and is recognized in the system tools. No loose connections or stray screws, I've triple checked. I want to see if anyone has any advice / diagnosis tools I could get before I reinstall windows / take apart the computer.

Situation: First home build done a month ago. Everything went smoothly except the gate on the CPU wouldn't close very easily. It was properly set, and the plastic was off of it, but when I brought the gait over the top I had to apply a lot of pressure and still wasn't able to get it closed. I loosened the screws a bit and was able to get it closed It's in pretty snugly. Other than that the build went fine.

The computer is running, but not as well as I would have thought. It's locked up numerous times, and I'm only getting a Passmark score of 1500-1650 (should be in the 7000's for a computer like mine). I'm not using this machine for gaming or high end use which is making the slow performance/lockups a bit of a concern.

I''m a bit of a novice at these sorts of things, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Intel I5-2400K
ASrock Z68 Pro3
G.Skill Ripjaw X series 8 GB (2*4)
Antec 6200 High Current Gamer

boba_fett31

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply, totally agree, it's kind a disappointing return on investment so far, but I'm sure it's fixable.

The hard disk is :Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I'm using the in house video on the Z68

boba_fett31

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks. After your comment I opened up the machine, none of the pins are bent or broken. The only thing that seemed odd was that the sticker on top of the I5 had melted to the fan and was just a gray mess. I wiped it off, but is it possible that I screwed up installing the fan and have it too close to the processor?

I also reran the Passmark and got a 1555 so resetting the processor didn't work.