Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Time Build & Graphics Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 24, 2011 6:08:14 AM

Hello all, I'm hoping you guys can help, and if so, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is a first time build for me, and everything went fine until I installed a new GPU and disabled the onboard one. Sometimes when I do something pretty simple (scrolling in Chrome, or opening up a random folder), the screen freezes with a weird checkerboard pattern in a small area, blacks out, and then pops back on with the alert message that my "amd display driver stopped responding and has recovered."

Yet I want this pc for gaming (Portal 2, anything on Steam, etc etc), and whenever I do game, this doesn't seem to happen.

I've searched everywhere for trouble-shooting, but I've only found stuff that either didn't work or no one knew. I'm hoping it's just me being silly and a noob and there's a simple solution - that, or I'm returning my GPU and going back to onboard until I find something that will work (any recommendations for other GPUs are welcome too!).

Thanks guys.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon II x4 640
MSI 880GM-E43 AM3 AMD (on-board is ATI Radeon HD 4250)
ATI Radeon HD 6850 (clock is 775 MHz, memory is 1GB DDR5)
4 GB RAM (2 x 2GB)
XIGMATEK 700W PSU
Western Digital 1TB Hard drive

And if it matters:
Rosewill Challenger Gaming case
Hanns LCD monitor w/speakers
Logitech mouse+keyboard

**EDIT** I forgot to add - I'm running Windows 7 x32 (but I also have the option of installing x64).
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2011 7:04:10 AM

Did you try updating to the newest drivers?
m
l
July 24, 2011 7:11:49 AM

I've had the problem with my laptop, updating my graphic card solved it.

it was the Graphic Card's Temperature that caused the crash=Overheating
make sure you have a good cooling system for your PC go at the brand website of the graphic card and update to it's newer version if it's outdated.

download a software that will monitor your graphic card temperature so you make sure that it doesn't go high.

CPUID HardWare monitor is one of the best, i always start up that program before i start using my pc, my laptop's temperature goes way to hot.

so try and see if that's the problem, if it is get a better cooling system or try and update the driver to see if it does any changes.

(OverClocking may cause allot of heat. if it's overclocked)
Best of Luck bro :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2011 3:23:21 PM

wintermint said:
Did you try updating to the newest drivers?

Yes, I did. I tried it several times, then cleaned them off and tried it with just the drivers it came with, and nothing changed.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:25:35 PM

chrismnsr said:
I've had the problem with my laptop, updating my graphic card solved it.

it was the Graphic Card's Temperature that caused the crash=Overheating
make sure you have a good cooling system for your PC go at the brand website of the graphic card and update to it's newer version if it's outdated.

download a software that will monitor your graphic card temperature so you make sure that it doesn't go high.

CPUID HardWare monitor is one of the best, i always start up that program before i start using my pc, my laptop's temperature goes way to hot.

so try and see if that's the problem, if it is get a better cooling system or try and update the driver to see if it does any changes.

(OverClocking may cause allot of heat. if it's overclocked)
Best of Luck bro :) 

It's all running on default (i.e. no overclocking), and I can monitor my GPU's temp - it consistently sticks around 38-39 C. Also, the cooling system is pretty extensive, at least compared to any other pc I've ever seen.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll probably have to return it anyways and go looking for a different GPU.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2011 6:23:39 PM

This card here would be a good choice; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
as would this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ether card delivered would cost you slightly more(about $220) than your $200 budget but would give you the best value for $$ spent.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 24, 2011 6:35:02 PM

Was there really a need for a new thread on the same subject?
m
l
July 24, 2011 6:50:38 PM

Quote:
Was there really a need for a new thread on the same subject?

Ah, I figured since one was dealing with a problem and this one is asking about new GPUs, they were different enough (and needed to be in different forums).

But since they're too similar, then feel free to report/lock/delete it.. if it's possible? Just wondering, since you're a mod.

And thank you, jeepster50! I'll look into those.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 24, 2011 6:54:37 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 24, 2011 6:55:22 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Graphics Card advice
    m
    l
    August 3, 2011 6:18:27 PM

Best answer selected by Nina-the-Tiny.
    m
    l