Will this motherboard fit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVince

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello,
Will an Intel P67 Motherboard fit in my Alienware Aurora R2 ? I currently have a Intel P55 motherboard.

Thanks !

Solution
It really depends on the case and if it follows the ATX standard. While mass manufacturers like HP, Compaq, Pack Bell and even Dell have historically created systems that were not designed for modification, enthusiast builders like Alienware and Falcon Northwest typically stick to industry standards that do allow you to change parts at will.

I guess the real question is why would you want to upgrade from 1156 to 1155. While it does represent an upgrade, it's a small one. 1156 cpus (even the i3s) are still very relevant in today's pc environment.

The money spent to move to Sandy Bridge (mobo+cpu) could be invested in ways in which would make a larger difference I would think.

If you're just dead set on changing architectures I'd...

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It really depends on the case and if it follows the ATX standard. While mass manufacturers like HP, Compaq, Pack Bell and even Dell have historically created systems that were not designed for modification, enthusiast builders like Alienware and Falcon Northwest typically stick to industry standards that do allow you to change parts at will.

I guess the real question is why would you want to upgrade from 1156 to 1155. While it does represent an upgrade, it's a small one. 1156 cpus (even the i3s) are still very relevant in today's pc environment.

The money spent to move to Sandy Bridge (mobo+cpu) could be invested in ways in which would make a larger difference I would think.

If you're just dead set on changing architectures I'd either look at LGA2011 X79, as it's an architecture that if X58 taught us anything will remain relevant much longer than the mainstream 1155. You still see people today rocking 920s, not too many are still running around with e8400s (no offense to anyone that is!). At the very very least I'd wait for Ivy Bridge, its not too far off and is 22nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge and should have a shelf life of at least another 18 months.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.