Usb and pci-express cutting out on motherboard

DJ SCOOBY

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hi guys...the age old question.... "Is it the PSU or the motherboard?"

Started having problems a while back where i would loose power to usb devices. The other week, i turned on my system to find i had no signal from my video card ported on my pci-express slot. Switched the cable to the onboard dvi and hey presto. I have been having problems with the usb ports again as my mouse would just loose power and die on me.

Dont get me wrong guys, this is an old Asrock 939 board with a jeantech 650w modular psu of about 5-6 years. None of the components seem to have blown taking a closer look at the board. Thinking more that the psu is on its way out more than anything.

You guys may be asking why i am wasting time on a old system? I have recently built a brand new rig as i thought that i deserved a new one. The components from the old system are just what i need for a htpc.

socialfox

Distinguished
Hi there could you post your computer specs up? I suspect it may be an aging motherboard as video loss was a problem with my current new build. It may be fixed by updating your bios if you check on the asrock website. Anyways with your specs I can give you a rough estimate of the wattage your computer uses and see if it hits the maximum of your power supply. In addition, you should realize your power supply is no longer 650 watts since you claim its 5-6 years old you may have lost a chunk of its wattage because as capacitators age they lost their initial wattage.