Sign in with
Your question

Not so Urgent Advice needed. Radeon 9600 Pro in AGP2X Slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 24, 2011 7:54:28 PM

Hi, let me start by explaining. I bought a Radeon 9600 Pro Card today, (Much like the one shown below)
which I want to use on a motherboard which only has a 3.3v AGP2X Slot.

I noticed that most 9600 Pro cards are 1.5v AGP8X only, so I figured this was a rare find, but now I'm
worried that I might actually "fry" the card by using it in an AGP2X slot. :sweat: 

So my question is, since the card does actually have the AGP2x "cut" in it, will it definitely work?
Am I in danger of frying the card by placing it in the 3.3v Slot? :( 

I'm not sure what brand of card it is (Powercolor, I Think), but it looks identical to this one (Same cooler even),
but the Circuit board is dark brown, not red.

Please let me know what you think.

Wait: It's this exact one! :) 

Thanks!
July 24, 2011 8:04:19 PM

I have a Gigabyte 9600 PRO in a machine rotting in the attic, but it works perfectly in a 4x and 2x slot. The PowerColor is probably the same. Same reference design. Ask around for more opinions, but you won't find many, the card is extremely old.
m
l
July 24, 2011 8:15:12 PM

Does your 9600 Pro also have the two cuts on the AGP connector like mine? Remember, AGP 2X is 3.3V only. And from what I've read on ATI's website 9600 series Radeons were only designed to run a 4x or 8x (1.5v).

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the one hand, all signs point to the fact that I'll probably fry the card if I insert it into a 3.3v slot.

On the other hand, why is the card keyed for 3.3v if it's not compatible?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2011 8:31:46 PM

The slots are the Keys, That card has a 1.5 and a 3.3 key so it should run ok

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2011 8:32:43 PM

Basically if it couldnt run in teh 3.3 AGP slot then it would not be keyed to fit.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
July 28, 2011 8:38:38 PM

Just thought I'd post an update: I plugged the card in and.....

NOTHING! (Not even the fan spins!), so apparently, just because it's keyed to fit an AGP3.3v slot, doesn't mean it's gonna work :pfff:  .

I don't know why the hell Powercolor even keyed it as a universal card since clearly it's not! :fou: 

I tested the card in one of my old 478 P4 PC's and it works perfectly, so it's definitely an issue with the slot. :( 

I bought a Radeon 9200 off eBay yesterday, hopefully that will do the job.

I'll just have to wait and see.
m
l
!