A few questions

love2shpongleirl

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hello I was told I may have better luck posting this here, Love the site, it was essential during my build. However, I have a couple questions. First, how much power will I need for cross fire? Second, why is my 3d mark score low? It says my system is performing lower than similar systems.Third, I have a bottom mount psu and will barley have enough room for the second card. This shouldn't be too much of an issue right? The second card will be very close to the psu and 1st card. My windows experience graphics score dropped from a 7.8 to 6.4, is that anything to be concerned about? Thank you for all your help. Any input is appreciated.Specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
1tb 7200rpm harddrive
one optical drive
2 4gb sticks of 1333mhz Corsair ram
750wtt coolmax psu
890FXA-GD65 motherboard
4 120mm fans with one 200mm fan
Mid tower Thermal take armor case.
XFX 6870 1gb gpu

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
A 750W PSU is enough to run 6870's in crossfire but I would hope its a good brand.

If your PSU blocks the fan in your 6870 then it will be a problem since there will be an inadequate air supply to cool the GPU.

I don't really pay attention to comparisons to other systems since if my computer can do everything I need it to do then I am fine with it. Does 3DMark take into consideration overclocking?

I don't people really consider WEI scores to be a definitive judge of systems.

love2shpongleirl

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for you're help,I am a bit concerned because battlefield 3 and skyrim are coming out and I am only averaging about 30fps in metro 2033. There will be a tiny bit of room for the graphics card fan, perhaps about a 1/5th of an inch. Do you think this will be enough room? Reason I ask is because the fan on my card appear to be pushing the air side to side, instead of the usual airflow.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
The air blown into the graphics card will find its way out through the sides and the ports so I don't quite understand what you meant by that last sentence. What you can do to test if your 6870 will overheat is monitor the temperature why you have a game running, such as Metro 2033. You can always lower the resolution of your display when playing games so you can hopefully get better fps.

love2shpongleirl

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
That's what I meant, was not sure how to describe it. I am playing Metro 2033 right now and with everything maxed, the highest my temp goes is 71c with an average fps of 30. Shouldn't get much hotter with crossfire right? Do you think I should go with crossfire, or just get a newer card? I just bought this card two weeks ago, but if it's not worth it, I will save the cash for the next big card.